All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Shape Notes again.

old git

Tremendous Bore
The Breakfast Room has always been eclectic, with references to Devil's Intervals, the migration of discord to concordance and even the recent query regarding inflection. Grab Radio iPlayer, dial up Radio 4, Monday 3rd December at 16:00, Songs of the Sacred Heart with Cerys Matthews. All of the introduction is involved in this form of music which even has an outpost in Neasden. Real eclecticism.

Have mentioned Shape Note singing here before but this is a good introduction and as the male voice party/choir, pronounced 'koir' in the Valleys, background is shared with Cerys and it is so alien that it is enjoyable. Most are able to spend anything up to half an hour noodling, feeling and caressing "Amazing Grace" but not in this style. Nick's very amusing observation regarding bebop, applies.

Players and singers who rely on the dots, give this a go and as you do both, this means you, TV.

ENJOY!

Last edited by a moderator:

old git

Tremendous Bore
Moi? :shocked:

Is this to do with mezzo de voce?
Bloody foreigners! >:)

As it developed in the poor communication areas of the States and for the same reason as original notation, allowing religious houses to share and spread their musical? output, they also shared a system which only showed relative pitch not actual. How the two systems came to different four part singing styles, would make an interesting study for you, I'm too lazy.

navarro

Hi Old Git not a singer myself but heard a reference to `Shape Sevens` from a Jewish Cantor a few years ago. Not being a regular attendee of my local Sine an Go (Bars` and Bat`s only.) I have not had the opportunity of following it up. I assume it has been used in Jewish Choral works. Regds Psalm of my hand. N.

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
do you mean Messa di voce?
Apparently, yes I did. You are supposed to use messa di voce style when playing long notes on the viol. I think I was confusing it with mezzo voce (half-voice).

OK - I had wrongly assumed that "shape notes" was referring to messa di voce, which is the "shape" the note has when articulated (usually a soft start, swelling, then fading again).

But, as I am sure OG knows (such a tease...) this refers to a form of notation used to assist singing, popular in C19th especially in US.

I've not come across it before. Tonic sol-fa and solfege I think are a similar vintage. I think all were intended to simplify the reading of music.

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
If they sang like this at the local methodist's i'd be there pronto. I really enjoyed the rampant joy of it. Halleluja!!

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
But, as I am sure OG knows (such a tease...) this refers to a form of notation used to assist singing, popular in C19th especially in US.
I always thought shape notes were what's handed out to slimmers and bodybuilders at the gym... Or maybe a euphemism for printed matter that displays shapely bodies.

old git

Tremendous Bore
I guess you'll object to Viola da gamba and Oboe d'amore then...

How do you feel about Rudall, Rose and Carte? Or Lachenal Not exactly british - or were they?
If they do not possess pure Celtic names, they are all Foreigners. All the great ones have been Celts like Diogenes, who is obviously Welsh, Magellan, who was obviously Scottish and AristO'phanes, who was obviously Irish.

BTW:-Listen to the programme and learn.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom