All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Serial Number missing - Olds

Elliot G.

Another questions is serial number and key guard. I looked on this saxophone for a serial number and I just can’t find it? Which worries me a bit. I looked at engravings on it and compared it to others. It looks like a legit parison ambassador, and it doesn’t seem to be relacquered. So I’m wondering if I’m look at the right spots? Under the thumb rest and back of neck.

there also seems to be a key guard that’s missing. I did not know of this, but it’s too late. I’m just wondering if I need to buy the parts or that a local technician can deal with it. I’m not ready to do any metal work yet, so that’ll be up to my technicians.
EE985BC2-8940-4153-ABF2-958283CF2112.jpeg

(sorry for the dim pic.)

DavidUK

Café Supporter
I may be able to help a little. I've had both Olds Ambassador alto and recently an Olds Parisian tenor. You have the third variant, the Olds Parisian Ambassador which fits in between the other two.

My Parisian tenor has no serial number either. I put this down to Olds wanting to get into the sax market in the 1950's and selling these horns as Sears might have sold a Conn in the 1930's (I had an odd Conn DeLuxe with no serial number).

I emailed Olds about a spare part and they replied the other week they keep nothing for these old horns, so your local tech is the one to go to for screws, guards, etc. But it'll cost you plenty and may make it uneconomical to repair.

The Ambassador alto was a dull blow, the Parisian tenor much better, once I'd fettled it some. But I suspect your in-betweeney horn may be similar to the one Steve Howard reviewed which didn't impress him. From the white rollers on his review horn I believe it isn't a Parisian, but a Parisian Ambassador, same as yours: Olds ( Pierret ) Parisian tenor saxophone review

The Parisians all had black rollers as far as I have discovered from those encountered on the net.
The Ambassador and Parisian Ambassador had the white rollers.

I'm guessing it would be difficult for Steve to check back with the owner as it was 14 years ago he reviewed it!

turf3

Missing side G# key guard is no biggie; any tech that's been in business a while has a junk stash from which a reasonably fitting one can be extracted. Five minutes to select and unsolder from donor horn; ten minutes to clean it up and bend it to fit yours; five minutes to remove the side F# key; ten minutes to solder it down; ten minutes to clean up and reinstall the key. That's a total of 40 minutes billable and it's probably an overestimate.

Elliot G.

I’ve heard good and bad things about Parisian Ambassadors. People say that they can be a good find for beginners. It was 95$ so I think putting a bit of love and care into it won’t hurt too much. I found people who have spare Parisian Ambassador parts. So I’ll probably be buying from them.

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom