No
Shipping Included
No
Amount paid to Cafe Fundraising
5%
Allow chat and/or off topic posts
Yes
Discontinued Sequoia Soprano Silver Plated
Currently we are working on the next line, and the few soprano available (k91 or Lemon models) cost about about £2200 (currency fluctuations permitting).
This instrument is a true beauty and it's in London.
Brand New.
Comes with a coffee.

nigeld

I think I need a different ligature
Subscriber
Anyone looking for a really nice soprano should be queuing up to try this one.
The free cup of coffee makes it an even better bargain. :)
If I didn't already own a Sequoia K91 I would be buying my train ticket.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
I don't like the tuning of the curved necks.
There is one, but I'd ignore it.

The straight is the right neck, It is more necky .

David Roach

In support of my good friends @aldevis and the lovely people at Sequoia, I totally recommend the Sequoia soprano. I chose mine in September 2016 and have been playing it for all my gigs since then.

I do occasionally get my (at least double the price) Selmer Series 3 out for a spin and put it back in the case fairly quickly. I find the Sequoia - with a neck that suits me - to be equally as good as the Selmer for intonation, but much more engaging sound-wise. The Sequoia has a warmth and depth that the Selmer does not get near (but to be fair, the Series 3 was designed as a neutral instrument for classical players).

In my experience, silver plate gives a compactness to the sound with an added 'presence' in the high partials. This can be mistaken for a little added brightness (it's much more shiny after all ;)) but I perceive it as a subtle re-organisation of the tonal palate.

If anyone is seriously considering a new soprano, a Sequoia is the one, especially at this price.

David Roach

The above post also holds good for the magnificent Sequoia altos. I have the 'Lemon' variety which tends to be a more spread sound. The silver plate will be more compact. You really cannot get a better instrument, for any price in my view.

nigeld

I think I need a different ligature
Subscriber
My strictly amateur opinion does not have the same weight as David's, but when I was looking for a new soprano last year I tried several Yanagisawas as well as some middle-range Taiwanese instruments (e.g. Chiltern, System54) and the Sequoia was the easy winner. Mine is a copper one.

My only caveat would be that intonation was not good with the curved neck. But with the straight neck it is excellent - much more in tune than my tenor or alto saxes.

Top Bottom