support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

(September 2016) Blues Key of the Month: Concert F Minor

Great stuff @mrpeebee . Nice feel to the tune and the recording is good so that the differences in sound between the mouthpieces come through clearly.

Good analysis of the differences between the mouthpieces and that agrees with what I hear. I like the chaos at the end !

Isn't that backing track "Green Onions" ? I've been expecting a few versions of that in this thread.

Rhys

Thanks Rhys :).

I don't know if the backing I used is 'Green Onions' (don't know that song), I think I just search YouTube for 'blues backing Fm' and it appeared in my list (I saved about four backings).

Here is a medium tempo Fm (concert key) Blues with a free YoutTube backing in Reggae style:

- 'Blues in Fm' - medium (Florida no USA 10* - Plasticover 2) reggae:
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13450711

That's really different - excellent backing track and well recorded sax. Well played as always.

To my taste, the style of the backing track is so laid back that it might work better with a really gentle sounding sax and lots of space - sort of like you started but throughout.

Rhys

That's really different - excellent backing track and well recorded sax. Well played as always.

To my taste, the style of the backing track is so laid back that it might work better with a really gentle sounding sax and lots of space - sort of like you started but throughout.

Rhys

I recorded one take during my latest recording session and also thought of doing a more gentle sounding one (even if that is not my usual style lol!), but I did run out of time and couldn't came back on this one.

As you might know I can only make recordings once a month in a studio of a friend and last week I had to learn, play and record about 8 different things in 2-3 hours (for some tunes did multiple takes and also used multiple mouthpieces).

Might give it a new shot next month, but then all the new BOTM's, TOTM's, B&I TOTM's, Blueskey's, SOTM's and what ever threads we have on all kind of sax forums will have called for new stuff! I need a rehearsal option in my house without disturbing my neighbours, but that's unfortunately not an option now. :(

Some of the other clips will follow later this month :).

And here the last one in Fm (concert key) for this month, now with a free YouTube medium shuffle Blues backing:

- 'Blues in Fm' - medium (Florida no USA 10* - Plasticover 2) shuffle:
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13451350

The backing has a big dynamical range, which made proper mixing with the sax track a bit more tricky.

Last edited:

I recorded one take during my latest recording session and also thought of doing a more gentle sounding one (even if that is not my usual style lol!), but I did run out of time and couldn't came back on this one.

As you might know I can only make recordings once a month in a studio of a friend and last week I had to learn, play and record about 8 different things in 2-3 hours (for some tunes did multiple takes and also used multiple mouthpieces).

Might give it a new shot next month, but then all the new BOTM's, TOTM's, B&I TOTM's, Blueskey's, SOTM's and what ever threads we have on all kind of sax forums will have called for new stuff! I need a rehearsal option in my house without disturbing my neighbours, but that's unfortunately not an option now. :(

You do amazingly well to keep up with all of these threads and it must be very frustrating not having frequent access to be able to record. I am lucky to be able to play and record at home with only mild indifference from my family !

I hope you can find a solution soon, but keep supporting these threads with your great recordings when you can.

Rhys

And here another one in Fm (concert key), this time with a free YouTube slow Blues backing:

- 'Blues in Fm' - slow (Florida no USA 10* - Plasticover 2):
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13451334

Bit difficult to keep it interesting at this tempo.

You did a great job of keeping it interesting with your tone, use of space and control of vibrato. Some very tasty blues effects in there too, including growling, screaming and falls. I thought you built up the solo really well right up to the excellent finish.

Keep them coming.

Rhys

Now I've got my wife's birthday out of the way, I have had a chance to make a couple of recordings.

The first one is "Green Onions" which is definitely a blues in concert Fm. This one with a good backing track from Jazztastic Initial Level:

https://app.box.com/s/axq5nrs5yq9ryqcrbumby1x3t5rtcemq

And the second is also in Fm, but it might be stretching a bit to call it a blues. Anyway our band played it at said wife's birthday party, but the recording there was rubbish as someone knocked over the Zoom recorder (honest), so I have just recorded both sax parts again with a Hal Leonard backing track. Fun to play but I find it really hard to be rhythmically precise.

https://app.box.com/s/godokgye3r3jsvtu9uheq6cu4ebbi7sf

Rhys

Here's a recording I have just made of (an approximation of) Lester Young's solo on the fine F minor tune "Blue Lester" that he recorded with a Basie small group in the 40s. This one is with a Band In A Box backing track that I made and it has a nice Basie-influenced piano and Freddie Green style guitar.

Blue Lester - Rhys tenor V1.mp3 - Box

Rhys

PS It isn't a 12 bar blues, but a bluesy 32 bar AABA tune that I really like. The middle chorus is just for the rhythm section.