support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

September 2014 BOTM "Teach Me Tonight".

B Flat

Hello everyone.
Guenne has asked me to host the Ballad of the month for September 2014.
Firstly I'd like to thank Guenne for all of his hard work as Augusts host and for chosing such a great tune for us to learn.
Secondly I may not have much time tomorrow so am posting this a little early.
Still time left for some more Willow weep for me takes.
I hope my choice for September is one that you all enjoy and participate in.
Remembering of course that it's all about having a crack as us Aussies like to say, so skill level is not important but getting involved is.
The tune I have chosen is not overly complex and there are some great versions on Youtube for inspiration.
"Teach Me Tonight" by Gene DePaul and Sammy Cahn.
Below is a link to Backing Track and PDF's supplied once again by Chris Knowles. (many thanks Chris).
(ADMIN EDIT: Dead media link removed)

Here are some youtube samples from some of my favs.
Amy Winehouse:
Ben Webster:
Boots Randolph:
Aubra Graves:

Look forward to hearing your many different styles at work on this tune.
Nick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice tune and some fine versions. Thanks Nick.

My favourite version is by Erroll Garner from his Concert by the Sea album. Someone has helpfully posted a transcription with the recording on YouTube. (But no transcription of Erroll moaning along with his playing).

And Al Jarreau did a nice smooth version in the 80s.

Looking forward to hearing what people do with this tune.

Rhys

Love this tune, and Nat's version - great arrangement.:)

Just one minor thing - I think there is a wrong chord on the lead sheets. The Bb version has Db m6 to D7. It should be Cm6 or Am7 (5b) to D7.:headscratch:

There probably is Rob:thumb:, the 3 or 4 sheets I looked at came form 'Wiki' and a BiaB file. The Realbook has Am7b5, the 'Colorado Cookbook' has it in a completely different key:confused:. There is no melody note on the first beat, so I'd just treat the chord like a passing chord, C7 bar before to C#m6 to D7 nice chromatic root motion,the Eb on the second beat is the 9th of the chord so it shouldn't cause to many problems, if you believe that you'll believe anything. >:) What does it sound like when you play it??:)

Chris..

I'm just more used to the more traditional arrangements Chris. The aebersold has am7 b5 to D7. But your chord will work well if you put the Cm6 on the 2nd beat to match the melody, and then D7 on beat 3 - if that makes sense?

I went ahead and slapped together my take early so everyone else will sound good the rest of the month.

https://soundcloud.com/jimmylh/teach-me-tonight
Nice smooth start to the proceedings Jimmy.
Recording quality was also very good.
I think Colin makes a very good point on how the phrasing will affect this tune.
In every version I have heard of it the phrasing has had a big affect on the feel of it.
Looking forward to hearing how eveyone approaches this one.
Nick.

I went ahead and slapped together my take early so everyone else will sound good the rest of the month.

https://soundcloud.com/jimmylh/teach-me-tonight
Hey Jimmy, either soundcloud is playing silly beggars or the link is broken :(

Last edited:
Very good Jimmy, and very quick as well :clapping:

Thanks folks, although maybe it would have sounded better if I practiced the song a week or so first. After I downloaded the back track (the one I used, not the one provided here) I found out it's in a different key than the sheet music. Then on top of that it changes keys again on the last chorus. I didn't feel like trying to transpose so I just winged it by ear so I have no idea what keys I played it in. lol I've been trying my best to get a better tone but I don't feel like I'm progressing much on that front. My mid-range stinks to my ears. Sounds like I'm playing a harmonica instead of a sax. My teacher agrees and told me to keep working on my long tones and breath support. I'm going to blame it on my sax..... hehehe.

Last edited:
Hello everyone.
Here is a link to the original folder that now contains updated PDF's and and backing.
(ADMIN EDIT: Dead media link removed)
Thanks once again to Chris.

Back
Top Bottom