Sept 2017: This Is All I Ask (Beautiful Girls Walk a Little Slower)

rhysonsax

Chris has asked me to host this month's ballad thread and I have chosen a song that I really like, both as a vocal and as a saxophone feature. Words and music by Gordon Jenkins and I think it has some of the loveliest lyrics of any song.

It is "This Is All I Ask", also known as "Beautiful Girls Walk a Little Slower".

There are great vocal versions by Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Nat King Cole, George Benson, Carmen McRae

And also great saxophone recordings by Phil Woods, Scott Hamilton, Harry Allen, Tubby Hayes, Marshall Royal, Stan Getz and many more.

It works at a slow ballad tempo and also as a mid tempo number.

Please don't confuse it with an Adele song called "All I Ask" !

I have made a backing track using BiaB in the key of Eb concert. For this track, an example with melody and for the saxophone lead sheets, download from here: This Is All I Ask - Box

Another backing can be found here This Is All I Ask.mp3 - Box
This follows the charts posted just add a 2 bar intro:)

I am away for a few days so won't be able to hear all your lovely versions until I get back. Do play nicely while I'm away.

Rhys

Last edited by a moderator:

rhysonsax

Phil Woods:

And Marshall Royal with the Basie band:

Phil Woods with wonderful bassist NHOP (starts at 27:50 and finishes at 36:55):

Rhys

Last edited:

Sue

If at first you don't succeed try try try a Gin
Subscriber
I have never heard this before. It really is a beautiful tune, thank you. Marshall Royal is amongst my favourite players so thanks again. I'm always amazed by how much music I have yet to discover.

U CAN CALL ME AL

Subscriber
@rhysonsax I suppose there has to be one idiot waiting to be first past the post. Then to be shot down in flames. Not heard it before so learned from scratch and a little reliant on the dots at the mo. Listened to a number of vocals read the lyrics and played it as it might be sung, you can tell I can't sing which was probably one of the reasons for taking up the devil's horn in the first place. Usual Cheap Chinese set up, reverb added after single take. Backing tempo increased slightly.

Last edited:

rhysonsax

What a fine start @U CAN CALL ME AL I enjoyed your rendition, which was singing nicely.

That tempo works well. If anyone else would like to modify the BiaB file I can post that as well and you can play around with tempo, styles, key signature or anything else.

Keep them coming.

Rhys

nigeld

I think I need a different ligature
Subscriber
If anyone else would like to modify the BiaB file I can post that as well and you can play around with tempo, styles, key signature or anything else.
I would find that useful. Your backing track is a bit too slow for me.

rhysonsax

I would find that useful. Your backing track is a bit too slow for me.
@nigeld I have uploaded the BiaB file to the same directory. Please feel free to download it and modify it to suit what you need.

I look forward to hearing more versions soon.

I have noticed that some tenor sax recordings are done in concert Ab and that seems to suit it quite well too. I may work on that.

Rhys

Last edited:

rhysonsax

Back from holiday and I've managed to record a couple of versions on tenor.

The first uses a simple piano backing track in concert Eb, from Standardstrax.com

This Is All I Ask - Eb Rhys tenor V1.wav - Box

The second is in Ab (the same key recorded by Scott Hamilton and Harry Allen) and I have been playing around with BiaB Real Styles, such as this one using a ballad stride piano style:

This Is All I Ask - Ab Stride Rhys tenor V2.wav - Box

Rhys

PS I'm looking forward to hearing some more recordings. If anyone would like different BiaB backing tracks, just ask ...

This is a really great song. How are people recording themselves?

I'd love to have a go at recording myself but I rely on my phone for recording, metronome and backing tracks. Is anyone else self recording on this low sophistication level of kit?

This is a really great song. How are people recording themselves?

I'd love to have a go at recording myself but I rely on my phone for recording, metronome and backing tracks. Is anyone else self recording on this low sophistication level of kit?
Yes, I do. It's not low sophistication, back in the day we had reel to reel and then cassette tapes!! I keep meaning to upgrade, but time is the problem. I find the phone gives you a raw sound, but still allows others to hear your sound and more importantly for you to hear it. I posted in last month's BOTM - One day I'll fly away, music through my stereo system, sax with no microphone, effects etc., recorded on my phone and it's......recorded on a phone and sounds like it!!

nigeld

I think I need a different ligature
Subscriber
You will need a pair of headphones in order to hear the backing track properly while you are playing.
I recommend using an extension cable for the headphones, or you will probably end up pulling the phone off the table/desk.

On iPhone, the iReal Pro app is great for generating and playing backing tracks to play along to, but you have to export the backing track into another app in order to record yourself.
Edit: I was wrong - you can record in iReal Pro on an iPhone. (Press the "share" button.)

I haven't tried recording on my phone. GarageBand has the functionality, but the user interface is not intuitive.
There is also an app called Multi Track Song Recorder that looks a lot simpler.

Last edited:

rhysonsax

Nice one @Chris - I like the backing track you made and your playing. What is the sound you are using on that ? In the absence of a real saxophone I think it is pretty good.

Keep the recordings coming. Anyone brave enough to record a vocal ? The song does have quite a large range.

Rhys

AlanT

You will need a pair of headphones in order to hear the backing track properly while you are playing.
Not necessarily, I haven't used them in years. I play to the backing coming out of my (1) speaker which is loud enough to play along with but only gets 'slightly' recorded onto my sax track. It serves as a great guide to me later when I mix the backing to the sax track as all I have to do is line up the peaks and valleys of the two backings and the residual backing gets covered by the 'new' louder backing track.

PS>In case someone wants to try this when mixing I generally zoom in on the two audio tracks in my DAW and line the two backings up where the sax is not present.

Top Bottom