All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
PPT Mouthpieces

Senior learning to read music!

Hal the Elder

Hello, I'm Hal the Elder (Harold), a 76-year-old amateur musician for the past 50 years who is now learning to read music for the first time in my life.

I had previously served in the rhythm sections of amateur Jazz, Country, and Rock combos, providing chord progressions and bass lines from Piano, Keyboards, Rhythm Guitar, and Bass, both Standup and Electric.

Since hanging out at rehearsals of our local Community Concert Band, I decided that I would like to learn a melody instrument, so I chose the Tenor Saxophone, which I have been taking private lessons on for about 2 months.

That's a brief profile of Hal the Elder, a beginner on Tenor Sax!

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Welcome Elder (Harold). I am sure you will enjoy the dots: they give you some unexpected freedom.

Sorry to hear about your country music experience, I am sure Tenor Saxophone may help you a lot on this.

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Welcome to the Cafe Hal:)

Hope you enjoy your tenor and the challenge of sight reading.

Jx

navarro

Hi Hal Same age here, I was taught the rudiments of music at five (Recorder) then went into a music coma. I picked it up again January of this year the same time as I bought an alto sax. I am now playing reasonably well in a swing band.

Obviously a lot of this is down to a rigid practice routine. However I had so much help technical and encouragement from the ladies and gentlemen of this forum no matter what I asked which was invaluable. You are in the right place great advice and great fun. best Regards N.

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
Welcome to the Cafe Hal.

There will be lots of useful (and sometimes useless) information here, you just have to ask; but be aware that many a thread will head off at a tangent. Always an interesting tangent, although not necessarily a relevant one.

Enjoy your tenor sax journey.

trimmy

One day i will...
Hello, I'm Hal the Elder (Harold), a 76-year-old amateur musician for the past 50 years who is now learning to read music for the first time in my life.
Big :welldone from me at tackling sight reading at 76 and a bigger welcome to the cafe :)

Zeus

A big welcome, Harold, from another late starter also, i am in the same boat, having to learn to read music as well, but there are tons of info, and the best place to ask for help, with such a warm community here:)

Hal the Elder

Thanks for the reply, Zeus.

It's not that I have to learn to read music, it's that I want to!

My 50-year hobby of Astronomy is becoming less exciting, even though I've invested many thousands in Telescopes, Eyepieces, Mounts, etc over the past 49 years. (Something like $30,000 plus)

My computerized scopes will locate and track any astronomical object above the horizon. I can even observe Planets in daylight when they're in opposition, because the scope knows where to aim itself!

I just want to add the skills of sight reading to my 50-year background of playing "head arrangements". A true musician can play by ear, but must also READ first!

Hal the Elder

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
Music and Astronomy. You'll get on with Old Git very well. Good to have another multi-instrumentalist in the house.
A hearty welcome from a relative youngster (57).
Andy

Zeus

Hal the Elder

I don't want to, i feel i have to, deciphering the symbols is ancient egyptian hieroglyphics to me now, and i don't like it a bit, it is why i hate the part that comes with exercises, but i do it, just to develop my talent, if any is there, my uncle plays the guitar without learning any notes, or writting music, just by ear, and over the years he has learnt a lot of tunes brilliantly.
And i, prefer the sound of music, rather than it's depiction on a piece of paper, even if it is necessary, i feel i have to, and not wanting to learn the way, most books, and dvds i laid eyes upon so far, present it. When and if i find a suitable way, i'll keep you posted, if you like.
Now i am using SmartMusic, and it hearts me when i see 2-3 red notes appearing after every exercise, and it further enhances my i don't want to, feeling, again, but it's a great program to practise, using the pc, and testing your progress, in sight reading too.

Because, sometimes, or most of the times, it's the teacher that makes you love, or hate a lesson, than a lesson itself. This goes for everything in life, and in learning as well imho:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Hal the Elder

HEY ZEUS,

I'm fortunate in having a Band and Orchestra instructor for my private one-on-one Tenor Sax lessons!

She's a private teacher for all Brass, Woodwinds, Strings, and Percussion for Middle-School, High-School, College, and Adult students, in addition to their classsroom instruction. She also plays Principal Flute in our Symphony Orchestra and our Symphonic Band.

Her husband, (age 77) plays Flugelhorn in the Symphonic Band and teaches Guitar in his Studio.

I'm stickin' with Carmen all the way!

HAL (A Southern California High Desert Resident since retiring from 36 years in Aerospace in 1998)

jeremyjuicewah

I have a cat called Harold. He is up to so much I would not be surprised to learn that he can read music. You will do just fine, I think it was Aldevis said here that it gives you freedom. Strangley, it does. I get better every time I open a book of dots. So good luck to you, Harold.

navarro

My 50-year hobby of Astronomy is becoming less exciting, even though I've invested many thousands in Telescopes, Eyepieces, Mounts, etc over the past 49 years. (Something like $30,000 plus)

My computerized scopes will locate and track any astronomical object above the horizon. I can even observe Planets in daylight when they're in opposition, because the scope knows where to aim itself!

I just want to add the skills of sight reading to my 50-year background of playing "head arrangements". A true musician can play by ear, but must also READ first!

Hal the Elder

Hi Hal Let me guess are you sure you are not Sir Patrick Moore giving a younger age. Get that Xylophone out of orbit and lets hear a tune.>:) regds N.

Top Bottom