Saxophones Selmer Signet Tenor

JP0193

Hello, need some help on figuring this sax out. I have a tenor sax, Selmer Signet, Elkhart Indiana. Has stamped on body made in France.
i read some forums to find a serial number but looked in the places suggested and I find none. I read about the history of the Elkhart facility that came up to make Selmer saxophones after WWII. But I am not sure how to place this instrument. Why the made in France stamping? any help would be appreciated. Thanks
GaryM

OP
J

JP0193

Hi guys, should I post this somewhere else in the cafe? Or is this a good spot for information on the sax?
thanks

Ivan

Undecided
Hi guys, should I post this somewhere else in the cafe? Or is this a good spot for information on the sax?
thanks
I bet if you wait a little longer the Cafe Sax behemoth will rumble an answer

I'm not expert but the variety of sax you have isn't commonly mentioned here so you may need to be patient

Pictures of your sax would help

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Yes we absolutely need photos.

Very unusual based upon what you have written, as Signets were typically Selmer USA models, student horns, Elkhart-made at the former Buescher plant which Selmer USA bought out in the mid 60's - quite decent second-shelf horns, based off of Bueschers....Elkhart engraving suggests it is one of these...yet yours reads France ....which would suggest it is a Selmer, France (???)

A few pics will tell...

(serial number should be under the thumbhook on back of body tube, btw...)

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
It's been engraved, then plated. Unless it's a re-plate, probably french made. Question is, by whom? More pics of keys, tables, thumbrest, octave key and octave mech please. How old is it?

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
I am going to say this is a Pierret-made horn, actually.

Just based upon the details I see. Which would be VERY interesting that Selmer USA contracted Pierret at some time.

If so you have a very good sax there.

But yes, as Kev says....we need more photos. Pinky table, opposite side of the sax (the side with the bellkeys), upper part of body tube showing octave mechanism, the neck, etc,....

OP
J

JP0193

Thanks so much guys. This sax seems to be getting more of a mystery as we go. Here are a few more pics to help.
thanks
C6AFC82A-4268-428F-9511-1162D808F0BC.jpeg
29351C4B-53B1-402C-9E33-B6DC3081FC38.jpeg

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
OK, also the Pinky Table ? :)

I am gonna stick with Pierret ...it has a number of details similar to a Super Artiste stencil I refurbed a while back - their top line horn of the time. Spat keys, bellbrace, keyguards. The body ferrules with the bands...are also Pierret style, although of later horns than the Alto I did.

Pinky table keys will tell all, methinks.

IMGP1108.jpg
PierretSuper5.jpg

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
sorry for the delay. Here are the pics you asked for thanks again . Gary
Hi Gary - the "Pinky Table" refers to the 4 keytouches, usually metal touches with rollers, engaged by the left hand pinky finger. Scroll up to my reply #13 and look at the second photo. THAT is a Pinky Table. That is the pic which will give the most info. ;)

OP
J

JP0193

Hi J, sorry I am not too knowledgeable on saxaphones, I was a clarinetist for many years and after moving away from playing I thought to start up playing a sax. Never really materialized. I purchased this tenor and two altos. The altos I am now going to hold for my 4 year old grandson, if he wants to play someday. The tenor I knew had a great sound and seemed special when I bought it but will now sell once I understand it’s origin. I spent many years on clarinet and was pretty accomplished, soloed with the National Symphony, Baltimore Symphony, Nashville Orchestra, was a member of the Presidents Own, Marine Band in Washington DC for 4 years, was the clarinetist for the Contemporary Music Forum for 4 years in Washington as well, and other groups as well. Just started playing again after 35 years off, long tones and etudes hopefully will get me there in a year, 25% of what I was is all I am shooting for thanksfor your help
14D81810-7812-4478-8194-A308C1BE57D4.jpeg

Top Bottom