support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Selmer SA80 made in 1983

georgesax

Locality
sheffield
Hi everyone
Do you mind to share your view on this. I have just started leaning sax. I bought an Yamaha yas280 alto. But I really like the sound of a tenor. I tried it at a local shop. It was not too difficult for me. So I decide to buy one. The local shop owner recommended me a Selmer SA80 made in 1980s, it is a secondhand horn, but has not been used much at a price of £2500. The new one is around 5k at sax.co.uk. I am not sure if I would buy this secondhand Selmer or a new horn in the price range or £3k, or just buy a new Selmer at 5k. I know it is a hard question. I would be very grateful if you could share your view. Thank you very much.

nigeld

Too many mouthpieces
Café Supporter
Locality
Bristol, UK
Personally, I prefer to buy a secondhand sax, because new ones look so much in depreciation.

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire
The local shop owner recommended me a Selmer SA80 made in 1980s, it is a secondhand horn, but has not been used much at a price of £2500. The new one is around 5k at sax.co.uk. I am not sure if I would buy this secondhand Selmer or a new horn in the price range or £3k, or just buy a new Selmer at 5k. I know it is a hard question. I would be very grateful if you could share your view. Thank you very much.
First off... was it deffo a 1983 SA80 for sale? Not SA80II? Just that it will be SA80II (or III) for sale in sax.co.uk

I have an alto SA80 which I bought that year. It fulfils my needs and I have no desire for a different Selmer or any other sax for that matter

A second hand Selmer will not suffer any where near the same forecourt drop in price as a new one if you decide to sell. At £2500 my gut feeling is that's the uppermost price bracket so the example you have found should be in excellent and ready to play condition. SA80 was short-lived and replaced by SA80II after only a few years, so the SA80 is less well known and that may affect its resale value

The physical difference (that my inexpert eye can see) between my Alto SA80 and my Tenor SA80II is the front F key is pearl on SA80 and it's brass on SA80II... but ergonomically both good

The bottom line is that a good second hand Selmer makes financial sense with little or no compromise on sound and function

georgesax

Locality
sheffield
First off... was it deffo a 1983 SA80 for sale? Not SA80II? Just that it will be SA80II (or III) for sale in sax.co.uk

I have an alto SA80 which I bought that year. It fulfils my needs and I have no desire for a different Selmer or any other sax for that matter

A second hand Selmer will not suffer any where near the same forecourt drop in price as a new one if you decide to sell. At £2500 my gut feeling is that's the uppermost price bracket so the example you have found should be in excellent and ready to play condition. SA80 was short-lived and replaced by SA80II after only a few years, so the SA80 is less well known and that may affect its resale value

The physical difference (that my inexpert eye can see) between my Alto SA80 and my Tenor SA80II is the front F key is pearl on SA80 and it's brass on SA80II... but ergonomically both good

The bottom line is that a good second hand Selmer makes financial sense with little or no compromise on sound and function
Thanks Ivan

MarkSax

Locality
UK
I would buy a new Selmer SA2 because the feeling of getting a new horn, especially Selmer Paris, is inspirational. You will want to play it day in day out. Ask the shop to adjust the blue steel needles so as to lighten the keys when you play. They tend to come rather hard out of the factory. The pads will be new so it will take some time for them to sit perfectly. Choose the S80 mpc if you’re a beginner and the S90 if not and you’d like a jazzier tone. At first you will not hear the tone you like. It’s not the sax, it’s you. Like a new partner it will take time to learn it. Sure the moment it leaves the shop it will depreciate instantly by half but you’re not buying an investment you’re buying a teddy bear for grown ups that you can play music on and with other people. Choose well.

Phil

Locality
France
I bought one new horn in my life and regretted it. My current horn is as old as me and in better shape. I cant think of a good reason to buy new unless you just really want to have a new instrument. Different srokes I suppose.

georgesax

Locality
sheffield
I would buy a new Selmer SA2 because the feeling of getting a new horn, especially Selmer Paris, is inspirational. You will want to play it day in day out. Ask the shop to adjust the blue steel needles so as to lighten the keys when you play. They tend to come rather hard out of the factory. The pads will be new so it will take some time for them to sit perfectly. Choose the S80 mpc if you’re a beginner and the S90 if not and you’d like a jazzier tone. At first you will not hear the tone you like. It’s not the sax, it’s you. Like a new partner it will take time to learn it. Sure the moment it leaves the shop it will depreciate instantly by half but you’re not buying an investment you’re buying a teddy bear for grown ups that you can play music on and with other people. Choose well.
Thanks for your advice

Locality
UK
I bought one new horn in my life and regretted it. My current horn is as old as me and in better shape. I cant think of a good reason to buy new unless you just really want to have a new instrument. Different srokes I suppose.
I second this, mainly because of the price that we’re talking. There are so many great horns available for £/$ 1-2k. Even less. The only thing that will impact your playing starting out is having a sax that has no leaks and a reed/mouthpiece combo that is fairly free blowing. Then it’s just practice practice practice and listen listen listen I’m afraid.

Give me a Mercedes F1 car and I’ll still be last by an incredible margin.

Locality
UK
Thanks for sharing your views. I have bought the secondhand Selmer SA 80. I am going to pick it up now. Thanks you all for your help.
Excellent. You'll be unlikely to lose money on it - although that is of secondary concern.

Phil

Locality
France
That leaves you extra cash for lessons and later mouthpieces! lol

I also think its a wise move because if you want to sell it later you wont take a huge hit. That model is a darned good horn but its not quite as popular as some other Selmer models for one reason or another.

Enjoy!

Top Bottom