Tutorials

Clarinets Selmer (Paris) E opening

Daniel37

I have been using a Selmer Paris E opening mouthpiece on my clarinet for many many years. I would appreciate any advice as to what I can replace it with. Specs are 130/18.

Pete Effamy

tiny chip
Just seen this. The groove doesn't worry me but a chip does. Might still be easily repaired these days but my techie fiends (;)) will be better at answering that part. As for copying a mouthpiece from a blank, @rhysonsax is right about Pillinger, it's what they do. Dawkes used to (still?) have their own brand of mouthpieces from a blank (Windcraft?). There again, this will be about the same price as a new Selmer so why not save yourself the hassle.

Greg_D

If you do want someone to try repairing the Selmer, Brad Behn has an excellent reputation. Don't think he's cheap though!

Otherwise, I can highly recommend Walter Grabner's new HiTech range. The S2MO (medium-open) is 100% my favourite ever clarinet mouthpiece. Not certain if he does one with the kind of tip opening you're looking for, but I'm sure he'd be happy to advise if you gave him a call. As it looks like you're in the US, it should also be easy to get a few from him on trial.

Dibbs

If you do want someone to try repairing the Selmer, Brad Behn has an excellent reputation. Don't think he's cheap though!

Otherwise, I can highly recommend Walter Grabner's new HiTech range. The S2MO (medium-open) is 100% my favourite ever clarinet mouthpiece. Not certain if he does one with the kind of tip opening you're looking for, but I'm sure he'd be happy to advise if you gave him a call. As it looks like you're in the US, it should also be easy to get a few from him on trial.
These are his new 3d printed mouthpieces which are printed in PA 12 (a nylon) on an HP multi jet fusion printer. That's a far better process than Syos are using. It's nice to hear that they are good.

Out of interest I uploaded a 3d model of a clarinet mouthpiece to an online 3d printing service to get a quote. They quoted me £20.70 for MJF printing (like the Grabner), £11.17 for SLS (which should be almost as good) and £19.49 for FDM (like Syos). For stainless steel direct metal lase sintered if came up with a price of £187.52

I don't know a great deal about mouthpiece design or CAD so my model isn't great but it strikes me that if someone could come up with a decent open source, parameterised mouthpiece model we'd all be able to source our own custom mouthpieces at very good prices. I just wish I had the necessary skills.

Dibbs

It just a more accurate (and more expensive) 3d printing technology than the FDM process Syos are using.

This may also be of interest

Top Bottom