support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Selmer Modele 26 Alto

I have a couple of Selmer Metal mouthpieces, but they are rather classical oriented I'd say. But I never tried them on a real vintage. Although I do have one that would qualify as vintage being from the 50s.

I do have my eyes set on a Selmer too at the moment, but I have doubts I stand a chance to get it.

I'll let you know if I manage to get it.

From what I could hear, there's nothing fundamentally wrong (other than the fact you're a little bit flat) with the sound of that Modele 26 alto. Bearing in mind that the action might need a few adjustments (which can affect intonation) then all in all it sounds pretty good.

It could be set-up or it could be how I tune but the higher you go, the flatter it gets. I don't think it's a major problem either way, thankfully.

I do have my eyes set on a Selmer too at the moment, but I have doubts I stand a chance to get it.

It would seem rummaging in brocantes is the best way to get a cheap Selmer. I was pretty happy with my find until Pete said he got a MkVI for £300! ;)

Oh and by the way, I found that you sound quite good for someone with no alto's experience! So, I don't know if it's the sax that sounds good, but I'm sure you have something to do with it!

Just seen a silver plated Model 22 going for 830€ in an auction in France. Then a MKVI estimated at 2000€ went for 3700€! 1947 BA tenor went for 5300€! Another one for 5200€! :eek:

I guess Selmers are not for me, unless I stumble across one lost in limbo for a decent price.

To be honest, if it hadn't been so cheap I wouldn't have bought it. I love old books but I don't have the same affection for old instruments. As much as I enjoy playing the 26, if I was going to play alto live or in a studio then I'd want something 80 years younger. I don't think that's a bad thing to be honest. ;)

A friend of mine bought his Tenor SBA 600€ at an auction, so I keep dreaming that I could do the same one day...

After all, I recently got my hands on a supposedly student horn (at a student horn price) that I recognized as a better one on the pictures. So I bought it, cleaned it, fixed a few minor leaks and sold it for a little more than twice the price I purchased it for! So anything is possible in this world. :p

And I'm an optimist by nature. :cool:

I sold my '36 BA alto for $1500 15 years ago... and it was in the paper (yes paper) for 4 months. Was awfully sharp in all notes so I had to get rid of it.... good news is I bought it for $1000. Boy did it sound sweet in the top end, I miss that horn.

Sadly, my alto hasn't seen much action recently as I stupidly bought a piece for it with far too wide a tip opening. It's more than playable but it's really hard work. Obviously a 0.090" is a little excessive.

Now, given I can't get to any shops for a good few months to physically try any pieces, and given how the 26 isn't an easy blower anyway, I'm going to have to buy blind so what tip would you suggest as a ball park guess?

I'm thinking an 0.080" with a baffle would be a good starting point but perhaps even smaller would work better on such an old, restricted alto? Parker played a 0.060" so smaller openings definitely work on older altos. ;)

For what it's worth, I play a Jumbo T75 and V16 T8 on tenor.

I would suggest something of the sort of tip opening you usually play on alto, irrespective of the age of the sax.

Parker played a 0.060" so smaller openings definitely work on older altos. ;)

Yes, but the thing is smaller tip opening also work on newer altos. I haven't found any correlation between the age of an instrument and the tip opening.

Also note that by itself tip opening is not so relevant, the response and resistance you feel depends on facing length, type of facing curve along with the tip measurement.

I played a Selmer Modele 22 for a while, I used a very wide tip mouthpiece and it was a perfect match.

Also note that by itself tip opening is not so relevant, the response and resistance you feel depends on facing length, type of facing curve along with the tip measurement.

I agree with this comment.

I would suggest a " middle ground" mouthpiece, with a medium ish lay.
if you are thinking the.90 is too much, try 5 or 6 ish. .70/75 ish

as you already have Vandoren on tenor, perhaps try that brand.

I dont like the Java mouthpieces on alto, but lots of folks do.
I do like the V16 range. I have a 5m and a 6s. the 5 is great and still has lots of power. think phil woods, cannonball vibe. The 6s is louder, more free blowing , but still with a nice core.

also think abou a meyer 6 medium or small chamber. similar vibe to v16.

these vandorens and meyers are very flexible and can be made to work in all situations.

keep an eye on Ebay. vandorens and meyers always pop up. buying 2nd hand means you can pretty much try things and not lose much/anything if it isnt for you. Its a bit risky financially, buying new without trying, as they are such a personal thing.

if you do want metal with a bit more bite built in. i do have two metal yanagisawas for alto. a 6 and a 7, that I will sell, with the relevant donation to the cafe. But these arent a match for everyone !!

Thanks Kev
As Kev knows I have a beautiful Modele 26 alto.

For quite a while I used a Link Super Tone Master 5* (as Peter King used for many years) then a Meyer 5 for ages, and now a D'Addario Select Jazz 5 which I think is excellent for me.
These are all around the 70-73 thou mark.

As I've grown older I've slowly come to the realisation that playing should be fun, not a struggle.
Consequently I now buy reeds that don't fight back, and over time have gone from 3 or 3.5 to my current Vandoren Red 2.

By the way Dave, may I suggest you have your instrument checked over for leaks.
The Modele 26 shouldn't be hard to play. I find mine sweet and very responsive.

Good luck, Alan

I played a Selmer Modele 22 for a while, I used a very wide tip mouthpiece and it was a perfect match.

If I remember correctly I used either an RPC .95 or later a vandoren java A45 (.85??). Now of course if iT still had that horn I'd be using my trusty PPT, either 6* or 8*

As Kev knows I have a beautiful Modele 26 alto.
Yes, something to lust over, with a wonderful tone. If I wasn't happy with my Kohlert, one of these would be on my short list.

It's a broad and erroneous generalisation that the keyword on old saxes is bad. Some, like the Selmers and Kohlerts are very good.

Is this a cigar cutter octave mechanism? And if it is, why is it on a Model 26? :confused2:

Attachments

• cutter.jpg
    cutter.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 137
Back
Top Bottom