support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Selmer Mk VI tenor

half diminished

I'm thinking, just thinking at the moment :w00t: about getting a MK VI tenor and I wondered what you MK VI owners or former owners would suggest the best way to prep for this is? Probably don't buy one! >:)

I guess that my biggest issue (apart from the cost :)) will be finding a good one and identifying it as such. Why a MK VI, well I've always wanted one and I guess my 66R is worth 60% of what I paid, my Nikon D2x dslr 30% and my new Leica M8 60% when the M9 comes out next week so I'd quite like to find something that will be an investment too!

This is a medium term plan, I won't be in a position to do anything this year but have already started putting a little aside in case this become a reality next year.

Any advice welcome.

griff136

Firstly if you do sell your 66r can I have first refusal.

Re the mk6 - there are good examples and not so good ones but even the not so good ones just need a little tlc IMHO.

Factors to consider in no particular order:

engraved or non engraved -

US or European assembled - the US assembled sixes sometimes had different engraving and had the serial number stamped on the crook tenon collar.

5 digit serial numbered horns tend to go for more money.

with or without High F#.

is it a relaquer? - this can affect the resale value.

as these instruments are old there is a likelyhood that they may have had some trauma in the past so check for any solder work, dent removal, etc.

Check that the body is straight, that there is no "play"/ movement on the keywork between their respective key posts.

anything that is non original will affect the price including fingerpearls that are non pearl but plastic imitations.

check for evidence of pull down on the crook. and check the crook is original,

you should also check the pads are in good nick as a repad is gonna cost another 300+

bottom line - get yourself one that plays and feels nice. the more original the better.

if you spot one you like and need a hand - drop me a line.

ps John has got one in the shop at the moment lac quered with silver keywork - a nice blowing horn.

pps dont get one from gumtree or craigslist as most of them are scams and dont hand over the moolah until youve got the horn in your grubby mitts!

OP
half diminished

half diminished

Firstly if you do sell your 66r can I have first refusal.
Of course you can though I wasn't thinking of selling it. The instrument is awesome, particularly now you've tweaked it though the side Bb mech is rattling again :(. Makes you wonder why I want a MK VI!

Mind you mrs hd might not let me keep two tenors and it's not exactly something you could hide easily!!

I definitely will not be getting anything this year though, no moolah! I guess I'll need £3,500 or more for a good one?

jonf

Mind you mrs hd might not let me keep two tenors and it's not exactly something you could hide easily!!
What's wrong with that? I've got two tenors. And a baritone. And a C Mel. Oh, and two sopranos. Five altos as well, although three of those are to be sold shortly. Basically, I can't think what sort of issues the Mrs HD might have.:w00t:

OP
half diminished

half diminished

What's wrong with that? I've got two tenors. And a baritone. And a C Mel. Oh, and two sopranos. Five altos as well, although three of those are to be sold shortly. Basically, I can't think what sort of issues the Mrs HD might have.:w00t:
Trouble is I'm a bit of a magpie............

I have an Olympus OM1, OM2n, OM3 and OM4ti, four digital cameras and 12 or more lenses. Loads of first edition books, some signed, hundreds of LPs, dozens of jazz albums.................

I could go on! And on!! We don't have a big house but I do have a lot of stuff!

mrs hd doesn't collect anything, she has hardly any trinkets, not much jewellery, just one small digital camera - I could go on but there's not that much to say :w00t:

I am getting better though. I used to have load more Olympus gear (including 4 old film bodies I sold though I have replaced them recently >:)), and two older Nikons (F2A and F3), a Mamiya 645, Bronica ETRS, Leica M6, loads of scale model rally cars and motorcycles, a full size Ducati 748 etc etc. But that's all gone now. :(

So she has a lot to put up with really. To be honest she thinks it funny I collect things but the big issue is lack of space. If I had your collection of saxes I don't know where I'd put them.

Justin Chune

A local musician put up a list of saxes for sale in a local music store and I went to look at a Cmel by Hawkes and Sons. I bought that one. He was a well known local player with quite a collection of saxophones. He owned a Selmer MkV1 and a new S80 Series 11. He told me that the Series 11 was as good as his MkV1. He seemed pleased that it wasn't better, though.

Jim.

Young Col

Ian, does Karen play a Mark VI? I thought she said she did. Fabulous tone, live and on CD whatever it is.

Did you mean you have lack of space for the Big Issue? Do you collect those as well?:D
Colin

OP
half diminished

half diminished

Ian, does Karen play a Mark VI? I thought she said she did. Fabulous tone, live and on CD whatever it is.

Did you mean you have lack of space for the Big Issue? Do you collect those as well?:D
Colin
Oi! No need for that! Yes she does and she sounds brilliant as some of us know from experience. Its not the sound I'm after. I am practicing at least an hor a day mostly on the exercises that Karen has set me and I am moving again in leaps and bounds. What that they say about pride and fall! So I'm not expecting it to last.

The more I play the 66RUL the more I am in love with the sound which I am pleased to say (according to Karen) is beginning to develop into my own sound :) and I am monster pleased with the FL Ultimate lig which has definitely opened the sound up in the upper register.

Just always wanted a MK VI that's all. Maybe I will, maybe I wont. It's gonna take awhile to save up or a big deal at work to close and there are a couple kicking about :w00t:

thomsax

Good advices from Griff. If I should buy a Selmer MK VI I would look for an early one, c 54-61. I think Selmer did some small changes (different bore and toneholes placement, F# key as an option) around -62 to face the demand and need for the new music. I think the MK VI from the 50's has a darker tone/sound compared to the later ones.

Thomas

Saxlicker

I love mark VI's, played a fair few, owned a few.
Talking Tenor here.....
I think your estimate of £3500 should buy you a very good one...that doesn't mean of course that VI's being advertised at that price are necessarily all very good. Infact I'd bet strongly against 70% of them.
If you go through with it, you should take an experienced player you trust if you can. A 'run of the mill mark VI' should still not top the £3000 IMO.

Now just to throw in a curve ball.... I'm currently in love with a MK VII (yes that's 7) that would save you £2250. I got lucky maybe, but a £2000 saving on your estimate is easily achievable for a good condition, original MKVII that sounds similar / as good as a VI.
Trouble is, ebay is not the place....you really need to try 'em.

griff136

Saxlicker has a good point re the mk 7 - the ones I have had in the workshop have been great blowers and if you are lucky to get one with a serial number that starts with an M - then it'll have a mk 6 body tube.
I sold one recently for 1500 the customer was very very very happy with it.

OP
half diminished

half diminished

I love mark VI's, played a fair few, owned a few.
Talking Tenor here.....
I think your estimate of £3500 should buy you a very good one...that doesn't mean of course that VI's being advertised at that price are necessarily all very good. Infact I'd bet strongly against 70% of them.
If you go through with it, you should take an experienced player you trust if you can. A 'run of the mill mark VI' should still not top the £3000 IMO.

Now just to throw in a curve ball.... I'm currently in love with a MK VII (yes that's 7) that would save you £2250. I got lucky maybe, but a £2000 saving on your estimate is easily achievable for a good condition, original MKVII that sounds similar / as good as a VI.
Trouble is, ebay is not the place....you really need to try 'em.
So I need to visit the MK VI/MK VII emorium. Where is that exactly.

Saxlicker

So I need to visit the MK VI/MK VII emorium. Where is that exactly.
dedication required ;}

Woodwind exchange in Bradford for the largest stock.
Then other shops scattered across the country for the odd one or three.
Then genuine private ads.
Dare I say fly abroad when its $2 to £1? PM Woodwind, tenor Madness, USA Horn.

Weeks of searching if you're serious, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Then of course you could get lucky and one could just fall into your lap.

OP
half diminished

half diminished

dedication required ;}

Woodwind exchange in Bradford for the largest stock.
Then other shops scattered across the country for the odd one or three.
Then genuine private ads.
Dare I say fly abroad when its $2 to £1? PM Woodwind, tenor Madness, USA Horn.

Weeks of searching if you're serious, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Then of course you could get lucky and one could just fall into your lap.
They call me Mr Lucky - hey great name for a CD! :w00t:

Anyone fancy a trip to Bradford to try some Mk VIs?

At an exchange rate of 1.66 it doesn't work so well and how would I get it back to Blighty without United breaking it, BA losing it etc >:)

Where can I get definitive info on things like serial numbers, differences between US and Paris models etc etc? You know the kind of stuff every prospective MK VI owner should know.

I'm definitely not considering a purchase until 2010 or mrs hd will render me senseless!

Saxlicker

I think Griff covered the main points
and this......
hits the nail on the head and has an exceptionally generous offer attached.
bottom line - get yourself one that plays and feels nice. the more original the better.
if you spot one you like and need a hand - drop me a line.
Some people wouldn't entertain a high F# for example but you may prefer it. One horn will be darker than another.
For reasons such as this, no one can provide you a definative list to get the mark VI for you.

The holy Grail seekers want
5 digit serial numbers, in original lacquer, original unrepaired neck, original case, that's been played/owned by a reputable player (this endorses it somehow in their opinion)without being dented, soldered or tired.

How much of that genuinely matters in the hands of a great player who loves his horn is more than questionable. Many great players buck that trend even if they do play a mark VI.

Michael Brecker's lacquered tenor had a silver neck for example.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Cafe Moderator
Where can I get definitive info on things like serial numbers, differences between US and Paris models etc etc? You know the kind of stuff every prospective MK VI owner should know.
It doesn't work like that. I used to own a highly collectible original lacquer 5xxxx MKVI tenor that wasn't that good. You just need to find one that plays well. Unfortunately the those are usually the ones that aren't for sale unless you are very lucky. For what you will probably pay for a MKVI , you'd be able to buy two or three new horns that are better IMO.

daveysaxboy

Big ruff Geordie bendy metal blower
Here is my thought,i have owned 5 MK6 Tenors and 1 MK6 Alto and 2 66R Mauriats so i can speak with some knowing of these.All my MK6's i bought trying them with many other mk6 horns so i could pick the best 1 at that time.I got 5 of the six from Stu at the WOODWINDEXCHANGE in Bradford so there was loads of choice.I liked all the mk6's i got but now i am on my 2nd 66r tenor and no more mk6's for me,why you might ask,well for me the Mauriat is the best tenor sound i have had,heard etc.Why change to a over priced sax?are you getting the Selmer bug? Yes to own a mk6 is a nice feeling and a good 1 is fantastic but why have so many in the world been changing to the 66r and why all the talk and buzz about this sax,well there a modern day classic thats why.I bet if you get the mk6 and sell the 66r that in a few weeks you will miss that huge,dark,boming 66r sound and also all that power.I hope you find what your looking for but i have with my 66rUL and i can alast settle and be happy.

OP
half diminished

half diminished

First off, I never said I'd sell the 66R. The move from alto to tenor was a painful beginning but I had faith in the 66R even though I was utterly rubbish. After much practice and
under Karen's expert guidance I'm now producing a pleasing sound.

It's just that I have always wanted a Selmer and was close to buying a 54 ref Collector alto but ultimately went for the 66R after all tenor is where it's at!

So it's a bit of a pipe dream but one I aim for and now I think I have a fair chance of spotting a good one if I can find it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom