All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Saxophones Selmer Mark VI Soprano

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Café Supporter
Locality
Whitchurch, North Shropshire UK
If you do a Google search on Selmer Mark VI, prepare for a lifetime's reading and contradictory viewpoints... I've never played one (any size) so I can't really provide much feedback. My observaiton form the outside is that they seem to have an inflated price due to 'fashion'.

From what I've read the big issue is consistrency - or more precisely lack of it - i.e. no two sound quite the same (which is usually excused as 'character' - euphemism for can't make two the same...)

Like all instruments, there will be good and less good examples around.

kernewegor

Bon vivant, raconteur and twit
Locality
cocks hill perranporth KERNOW
It might be OK.

But how long have you been learning?

'Student' horns these days are streets - no, blocks, cities - ahead of what they used to be. Read the link to Stephen Howard which I gave you... thoroughly.

If you think that there is anything wrong with your current horn your teacher can look at it and check it out.

Does your teacher thinks your horn is holding you back?

The most expensive sax on the market may not be the best (price and quality and fitness for purpose do not always coincide, by any means). It may also not be the best for you... different players find different horns suit them better...

Charlie Parker - the most phenomenal player ever, in my opinion - played phenomenally well even on a crappy plastic saxophone (the Grafton - see this link: http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/Saxes/Alto/Grafton_alto.htm.

Ornette Coleman also played a Grafton at one time. Probably for the same reason - he was broke at the time, too.

Cheap horns in those days were pretty ghastly, by all accounts. And in those days computers filled several rooms... and were less powerful than your smartphone...

But things have changed - dramatically. Parker and Coleman would have bitten your arm off for a cheap Chinese sax of the quality that are available today.

Read Stephen Howard on the difference between ultra cheap horns and expensive horns. The difference in price is far more than the difference in playability, action, tone... read.... read....read....read.... try this http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/Ultra_Cheap_horns.htm .

You can't buy musical ability by buying an expensive instrument. The bloody thing doesn't play itself... (as my old music teacher used to say)

Last edited:

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
The real answer is to try for yourself. I think most of us go through a phase of wanting a Mk VI, but it's usually for status. If you want a big name good sop you'll probably do better with something like Yanagisawa, Yamaha.

If you want an investment it may be a good bet.

jazzdoh

Locality
West Midlands
You won't go wrong with a Yanagisawa or Yamaha,but you really need to know what you are buying when looking at the mark VI,there are great ones and not so great ones.

Charlie Parker - the most phenomenal player ever, in my opinion - played phenomenally well even on a crappy plastic saxophone

Charlie Parker was a phenomenal player but he also played some of the great saxes of the day including

Selmer Model 26
Buescher Truetone
Martin Handcraft
Conn 6m
King Super20

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
Crikey...I must be like the "Bird" as I have a 6M and Handcraft (both need overhauls) and I also own a Vibrato!

Targa

Among the pigeons
Café Supporter
Locality
KIC 8462852
It's similar to someone who is 18 and has driven a Fiesta for a year and wants to buy a turbo GTi, obviously it will make them look like a better driver.
Nobody ever got killed because they played a soprano; although the original post did mention Kenny G.

Nick Wyver

noisy
Café Supporter
Locality
Minster On Sea
I'd have thought it'd be more like giving them an E-type. Something you really have to work at for it to be any use. In the case of a MkVI it'd be coping with the tuning.

kernewegor

Bon vivant, raconteur and twit
Locality
cocks hill perranporth KERNOW
Now that's given me a fundraising idea, we need an online swear box £1 donation for caught swearing or when I have to slap someone's wrist>:)

Jx

Quotations don't count as swearing (as my son says when imitating his grandad).

jazzdoh said:
Charlie Parker was a phenomenal player but he also played some of the great saxes of the day....

True for you. But I did say "...even on a crappy plastic saxophone.."

This thread stirred my interest in sopranos (always latent) and it seems - if various other fora are to be believed - that the Mark VI production wasn't very consistent. Someone even opined that they did not use a mandrel for shaping the body ( I take that with a pinch of salt - Wanna make an accurate metal cone? Make a mandrel first, dummy! And cut the pieces from a template!)

Be that as it may, the buzz on the block is that they sound more variable than most. One offered cheaply may be so because it is one of the poorer ones... But who knows, without trying it before buying - and being sufficiently experienced to know good from not-so-good?

Were I unscrupulous and in possession of a not-so-good Mk VI I'd set a top-dollar asking price because an awful lot of people are convinced that quality and price are directly related... the double-edged adage "you get what you pay for" was probably first coined by the Delphic oracle... or a 500 B.C. Greek advertising agency...

And with auctions (and ebay is an auction) a bid is a commitment to buy, and having bought, it's your's buddy, pay up!...your only get-out, I believe, is if the goods are 'not as described'. Easy. Don't describe the tone, build quality or anything at all really, just let the fabulous name (term used advisedly) sell it for you.

It's a minefield out there... or do I mean a jungle? Maybe a jungle with a minefield...

Or as I saw once in print (I kid you not!) "It's a doggy dog world..." (!)

A jungle with a minefield in a doggy dog world...

Last edited:

Greg Strange

Locality
Hamilton, Waikato, North Island, New Zealand
Kenny G is the best saxophonist on the planet, therefore he must play the best saxophone :rofl: - the Mark VI - some bloke called Coltrane use to play a Mark VI soprano as well...

Most of the LA studio players like Dan Higgins, Bill Liston, Sal Lozano play 62 series Yamaha sopranos...

Greg S.

Last edited:

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
St. Mary's
i heard kenny g plays this one?
any good?
I've always been very unimpressed by MKVI sopranos. The tenors and altos can be good if you get a good one. Sopranos? No. You'd be better off with a Yanagisawa or a Bauhaus! beautiful horns with a great tone and the added bonus of being way more in tune than any MKVI

Ads

Locality
North West UK
Crikey...I must be like the "Bird" as I have a 6M and Handcraft (both need overhauls) and I also own a Vibrato!

I`d still like a Vibrato for the hell of it .

I can`t say I`ve ever hankered after a MkVI , probably as I`m a tenor player and the only relly nice VIs i`ve heard have been altos ...... also I had an awesome sounding MkVII Tenor , I never heard a VI which came close .. I`ve never actually played a MkVI Sop of course but I`ve heard a few and I`d still look towards Yani for top end Sopranos first.

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom