support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Selmer Kucaburra

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Well it looks like I've got a gas attack again and would like any info available from those who are really in the know.The object of my desire is as stated a Selmer ref 54 kucaburra alto,I would really like the real lo-down on these horns are they as good as you would want for the money or are they not so good tarted up to sell if you get my drift, there are lots of you out there that have dealings with these horns and I would appreciate any advice you can give me.

Thanks...john

Well it looks like I've got a gas attack again and would like any info available from those who are really in the know.The object of my desire is as stated a Selmer ref 54 kucaburra alto,I would really like the real lo-down on these horns are they as good as you would want for the money

I haven't tried an actual Kucaburra Reference 54, is it any different to a regular 54? I quite like the Ref 54 altos, but if it was me I wouldn't call it "as good as would want for the money", partly because I have played a Chinese copy of a Reference 54 that was as good as the real thing for me. But they are fine horns, though don't seem to come well set up from Selmer so factor in a bit more to have a good tech look at it. Compared to a R & C for similar money (?) or a Bauhaus Walstein M2 for much less, I wouldn't be buying one.

Thanks for your input Pete this is the kind of stuff I'm looking for I expected it's a standard 54 with the special engraving but don't really know how good the ref 54's are in the first place, like are they a better horn than the mk 2's or 3's or is it the other way round.I'm surprised they don't come well set up from the factory that's well worth knowing.This Chinese sax thing is very confusing to me I know there are some fabulous Chinese saxes out there but they'll never be Selmers will they and are they likely to hold their value in ten years time I would like to think they will but have my reservations. I would like to think that if I buy the kucaburra I would be buying a bit of sax history like your R&C but would also hope that it's going to play as well as the best available with lovely finger placement and great intonation rather than something that looks great but only plays average.

Any other comments most welcome...john

I know there are some fabulous Chinese saxes out there but they'll never be Selmers will they and are they likely to hold their value in ten years time I would like to think they will but have my reservations.

Nor will a Ref 54. However that is hardly relevant when you are comparing the cost of a Selmer with a £500 Chinese horn because if the Chinese horn is worth 30% in 10 years time, you're only down £350. If you buy a new Selmer, you are down £1000 once you take it out of the box and play it.

but would also hope that it's going to play as well as the best available with lovely finger placement and great intonation rather than something that looks great but only plays average.

The chinese one I tried had as good a tone and intonation as a Selmer. But I don't actually know the make, it was years ago and was just an unbadged horn that a dealer had as a sample.

Chinese saxes out there but they'll never be Selmers will they and are they likely to hold their value in ten years time

Any other comments most welcome...john

Just a bit of input from a newbie, if i was spending a fair amount of money on a new/used sax (i will be in november :) ) i would want the best i could get for my hard earned. With respect John, i wouldn't even be thinking of future value as i would be keeping it until i popped my clogs then the kids can fight over resale lol

If you are spending a lot of cash get the best for you and enjoy playing it :thumb:

If you are spending a lot of cash get the best for you and enjoy playing it :thumb:

I agree. Of course what you will have with a Selmer (Paris) is the Selmer name and brand, a part of what you are paying for is that brand name. Nothing wrong with that at all, but I think the best thing is to try loads of saxophones and buy the one that sounds the best and makes you feel the best about owning.

Pete Thomas;56927 [QUOTE said:
If you buy a new Selmer, you are down £1000 once you take it out of the box and play it.
Not strictly true, i know someone who bought a new ref 54 (tenor) eight or nine years ago for about £2800...try finding a second hand one now for less than 3k!

Be interesting to see if in ten years time second hand ones are going for more than the current new cost of £4800, i very much doubt it somehow....

Speaking as a Ref54 Alto owner and player I would never ever sell it. Fantastic piece of kit and with a special sound. I appreciate Pete's input, and the prices have gone up a lot since I bought mine 5 years ago. I have always been wary of the concept of resale value. Why buy something that you will not keep, is my motto. I have only owned one alto sax, and don't imagine that will change - unless I do some gigging and want a cheaper alternative to take on the road - probably go for a Buffet 400.

Nice problem to have!
Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
So all in all then,

The ref 54 is a quality horn albeit Selmer branding is expensive but its kind of earned its place as n.o. 1 and the kookaburra is effectively a limited edition and beautiful looking.
That doesn't mean that you couldn't find something else of similar quality that is equally pleasing to you and save some cash.
But it also looks like the future value will remain strong of the fullness of time and surpass what a standard 54 will fetch in similar condition and most of the competition would lose out in this dept. You'll get a good chunk back and I think it's a horn that could even appreciate in value.
So resale is always a worthy consideration, you may want to down grade at some point for many reasons.
As already mentioned, the ultimate appraisal for a new purchase should be which one pleased you most after trying lots!
So do that and have a right good time, you are the one spending so play 'em all and play em all for how ever long it takes! If this one is still up there then it has to be a winner.
Good Luck with your decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
unless I do some gigging and want a cheaper alternative to take on the road - probably go for a Buffet 400.

That seems a bit odd to me. I bought the best sax I could precisely because I do a lot of gigging.

The only one of these 'special' Selmers I've tried was a Hummingbird. Didn't like it.

BTW have sax.co.uk stopped doing Selmers? None on their website.

Well it looks like I've got a gas attack again and would like any info available from those who are really in the know.The object of my desire is as stated a Selmer ref 54 kucaburra alto,I would really like the real lo-down on these horns are they as good as you would want for the money or are they not so good tarted up to sell if you get my drift, there are lots of you out there that have dealings with these horns and I would appreciate any advice you can give me.

Thanks...john

Is this the one your looking at John :w00t:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230677841683?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Teebones another old :old: says go for it you know you want it :clapping::happydance::clapping:

Just a bit of input from a newbie, if i was spending a fair amount of money on a new/used sax (i will be in november :) ) i would want the best i could get for my hard earned. With respect John, i wouldn't even be thinking of future value as i would be keeping it until i popped my clogs then the kids can fight over resale lol

Thanks for the input trimmy,the resale value thing is only a good indication of how well respected a particular horn is in the sax world, and not am I going to lose or make money on this horn.If I buy the sax it will be as a one for life purchase.The idea of this post is to try and get feedback from people that have owned or played these saxes on wether they like them, love them, hate them, think they are over priced,etc.So far it's looking quite favourable (I THINK)...john

Speaking as a Ref54 Alto owner and player I would never ever sell it. Fantastic piece of kit and with a special sound. I appreciate Pete's input, and the prices have gone up a lot since I bought mine 5 years ago. I have always been wary of the concept of resale value. Why buy something that you will not keep, is my motto. I have only owned one alto sax, and don't imagine that will change - unless I do some gigging and want a cheaper alternative to take on the road - probably go for a Buffet 400.

Nice problem to have!
Tom

Thanks for that Tom as a dedicated alto player like myself your opinion is much appreciated especially as you own one and love it

So all in all then,

The ref 54 is a quality horn albeit Selmer branding is expensive but its kind of earned its place as n.o. 1 and the kookaburra is effectively a limited edition and beautiful looking.
That doesn't mean that you couldn't find something else of similar quality that is equally pleasing to you and save some cash.
But it also looks like the future value will remain strong of the fullness of time and surpass what a standard 54 will fetch in similar condition and most of the competition would lose out in this dept. You'll get a good chunk back and I think it's a horn that could even appreciate in value.
So resale is always a worthy consideration, you may want to down grade at some point for many reasons.
As already mentioned, the ultimate appraisal for a new purchase should be which one pleased you most after trying lots!
So do that and have a right good time, you are the one spending so play 'em all and play em all for how ever long it takes! If this one is still up there then it has to be a winner.
Good Luck with your decision.

A great appraisal of the situation just the way I'm thinking. Apart from the try loads of saxes,as I spend most of my life trying to avoid gas it would be like putting my head in a lions mouth, and I have to admit to being a pisces which basically means the more choices the less chance of a conclusion.Your input is much appreciated ....john

Next time I'm over, I'll try and bring my Kohlert. Would be good to compare.

How's the repadding going?

That would be great I'd love to see it.

The repadding is another story,bought a load of top quality pads for two saxes to reduce the postage cost some were a tiny bit on the small side so need replacing (postage saving out the window).Rebuilt one of the saxes and did a dry fit to get a feel for how things were going together only to find that they may all be too thick,may have to grovel to my lovely sax tutor mech who I think may like to give me a hand if only to keep his hand in because he's not been doing a lot on the repair front for a while,can only hope.

Will be glad to see you should you come over again

All the best...john

Back
Top Bottom