All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

M/Pieces - Ligs Selmer England Tenor Mouthpiece

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Locality
Just north of Munich
In my collection, I have a tenor piece by Selmer, not the usual French made, but one made in England... There's very little on the web about them. What there is suggests they weren't interesting to play (I'm pretty sure Mr Wyver would describe this as the dullest piece he's played).

I was discussing it by PC recently with another member and was asked for a few pics. The mouthpiece is nice, big, dark warm sound, not loud, but almost homely. Suits me.

It's gold plated brass, seems to have the gold straight on the brass, which means that over time the brass will migrate into the gold, affecting the colour/finish. Unlike links, which have layers of plating under the brass, and when the thin gold goes, they turn white/silver.

Something came up in the discussion about the beak construction, which I hadn't noticed before. The roof of the chamber is soldered on to the side rails and body. Also it looks as if the shank is soldered to the body. My guess is that it was cast in parts, put in a jig, then soldered together. You can see this in the side shots, where I've upped the brightness and contrast on the pics, the red arrows show the joins on the outside. Also the small solder bubbles in the roof/rail joint. This is barely visible normally and I think would have been invisible when new, but the plating has worn thin and it's showing through now. Also there's a small step baffle where the body and beak are soldered. The side rails are undercut - but not by filing out, this was cast in.

Lig is interesting and I oringially thought it was a bit dodgy/broken. There's a captive thumb screw, but the thread it screws into isn't where you'd expect it, it's in the loose collar that's sitting on the pressure plate. Means that it tightens nicely, but if you try to overtighten, the collar turns and it doesn't jam/strip the thread. Not much plating left on it, sadly, and you can see where it was soldered on the back.

So - an interesting curiosity - and not very common.

Gallery Link:
Selmer England Metal tenor piece

jazzdoh

Locality
West Midlands
A big band i used to play with about 10 years ago,the band leader who was a sax player as well as piano player had on of these for alto and he decided to sell it on Ebay it fetched a fortune about £300 which was a lot back then so they must be quite collectable as he had about 4 people bidding against each other.

OP
kevgermany

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Locality
Just north of Munich
They must be nuts to pay that. But I suppose it's rarity and name inflating the process far beyond what it's really worth. Just like MkVIs.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter
Locality
McLean, Virginia
A big band i used to play with about 10 years ago,the band leader who was a sax player as well as piano player had on of these for alto and he decided to sell it on Ebay it fetched a fortune about £300 which was a lot back then so they must be quite collectable as he had about 4 people bidding against each other.
Value of alto pieces may be due to Charlie Parker playing one of these at one time

jazzdoh

Locality
West Midlands
Value of alto pieces may be due to Charlie Parker playing one of these at one time
Never knew that,but that would explain why it went for so much,from what i remember its sound was very Desmondish and it was very heavy for a mouthpiece.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
A copy in resin of the tenor (by Pillinger) is part of today demonstration in Cardiff.
:)

Locality
Sandy, Utah, USA
I'm intrigued and would like to buy an alto and tenor version of this Selmer England mouthpiece. Please let me know if you know of any for sale.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom
test6