support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Selmer England 40 40 mouthpiece

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Café Supporter
Does anyone know something about Selmer England metal mouthpiece?

There is a reference here, but it doesn't sound right.
http://www.mouthpiecemuseum.com/MouthpieceMuseum/Selmer.html

I am currently playing a HR replica of it (tenor), and I love it. The original was quite a bad player.

It seems quite rare, and I cannot find any clue about the possible original maker.

Last edited:
Player in a big band i was in some years ago,had one of these Selmer England metal alto mpc's,sounded very nice,he sold it a few years later on Ebay fetched quite abit of money about £250ish

Don't know who made them,but i remember it being heavy and well made.

Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a lot of scratching around after visiting a forum member and playing his. I couldn't find out anything about it.

Like you I liked it. Looks as if they're worth quite a bit for scarcity, but what feedback I got was pretty neutral about them. Selmer had a factory in the UK at one stage, and they may have come from there - or been commissioned from there.

http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/gallery/gallery3/stor.html

I did a lot of scratching around after visiting a forum member and playing his. I couldn't find out anything about it.
Like you I liked it. Looks as if they're worth quite a bit for scarcity, but what feedback I got was pretty neutral about them. Selmer had a factory in the UK at one stage, and they may have come from there - or been commissioned from there.

http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/gallery/gallery3/stor.html

Since there are not many around, I suspect someone did a few branded selmer, then moved to some other line.
It seems that it involved some soldering, a technique the requires some skills to do it like in the piece I had in my hands.

A very smart design, not viable nowadays since you would probably need a trained jewel maker to do such a job.

The HR version I am working on, is a killer. I will see with the Holy Mouthpiece Maker how it can be developed, but I am still curious to try a good original.

Charlie Parker used a Selmer England metal piece.
It looks like nothing special compared the high valued vintage Soloists.

If you happen to try one, its sound is not what you would expect from that chamber.

I never tried an original alto, though (just a replica).

If you are interested in digging deep history of selmer london then

http://www.donmack.com/pages/the-way-they-where

Is the best place to start that I know of. if you check out the catalogue links to the right you will find some nice stuff including the Mk 6 alto priced at £157

I don't want to be a party pooper here guys but....

I had one, it looked the part but it was very ordinary indeed. I preferred my 4C yamaha.
Granted I was using higher baffled pieces back then so it was not of the same ilk but the memory is still quite vivid unlike the sound I got from it.

Mouthpiece mystique eh? one mans junk an' all that!!!!

I got mine for £4 (no, theres no missing zero) in 1990 from a drawer in a music shop in Richmond and instantly knew it was worth £20- £30
So I was very pleased. I sold it for £80 on ebay about 5 years ago, starting price was £40 I think.
IMO there are many many better pieces out there for £80 let alone £250 but what ever floats your boat.
I'm just shocked somebody made a replica of it.

So I was very pleased. I sold it for £80 on ebay about 5 years ago, starting price was £40 I think.
IMO there are many many better pieces out there for £80 let alone £250 but what ever floats your boat.

Off topic a little i am amazed at some of the prices some vintage mouthpieces fetch,there seems no end to the inflated prices,makes you wonder what some pieces would have sold for had we have not been in recession.

Brian

I'm just shocked somebody made a replica of it.

Amazing what I can do for love of knowledge.
Or I could start collecting slant signatures until I find the good one (as long as they have the original box).

Update: thanks for the links and clues. A (reliable) man that was around at that time, tonight told me they had to discontinue it for patent reasons. Last retailer price was £1 for the alto and £1.50 for the tenor.

I know about Wellins because the guy that lent me the original ff (40 40) knows him quite well.

I have one of these very mpc's, it being the one tha kev tried and liked,not being a tenor player myself I can't say anything about it's playabiltity, if any one is interested I will attempt to post some pics but it is pretty much the same as the one shown on SOTW except mine does not have the number down the side and has d4 stamped where the one on SOTW has d5,mine also has it's own tailor made ligature.Should any of our number be unable to resist the urge to own this rare beast(GAS) and would like to throw vast amounts of money in my direction I'm sure I could be tempted to part with it and make the usual donation to pete's charity....john>:)

I have one of these very mpc's, it being the one tha kev tried and liked,not being a tenor player myself I can't say anything about it's playabiltity, if any one is interested I will attempt to post some pics but it is pretty much the same as the one shown on SOTW except mine does not have the number down the side and has d4 stamped where the one on SOTW has d5,mine also has it's own tailor made ligature.Should any of our number be unable to resist the urge to own this rare beast(GAS) and would like to throw vast amounts of money in my direction I'm sure I could be tempted to part with it and make the usual donation to pete's charity....john>:)

Beware - I already offered a vast sum, and it wasn't enough.... Previous offer still stands, though - but we need to put it through the yard sale.

Should any of our number be unable to resist the urge to own this rare beast(GAS) and would like to throw vast amounts of money in my direction I'm sure I could be tempted to part with it and make the usual donation to pete's charity....john>:)

Noooooooooooooooo! I must resist, I must resist. I have two replicas already.... Do I really need a dozen tenor mouthpieces? I should buy ten more tenor saxophones first....

How does the ligature look like?

Beware - I already offered a vast sum, and it wasn't enough.... Previous offer still stands, though - but we need to put it through the yard sale.

Since it used to sell for £1.50 new, I guess 99p is a fair price (and I can give much more than that on Pete's charity)

Two Selmer England metal alto mouthpieces here, although not like the 40 40 I think. Well, actually the first is Selmer England Vocaltone and the second is Ben Davis Streamline Vocaltone.

http://www.hillsound.co.uk/index.ph...tegory_id=170&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=64

http://www.hillsound.co.uk/index.ph...tegory_id=170&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=64

I knew that Bobby Wellins used to play a Selmer metal but didn't realise that it was a Selmer England. What a great sound he had (and has).

Rhys

Two Selmer England metal alto mouthpieces here, although not like the 40 40 I think. Well, actaully the first is Selmer England Vocaltone and the second is Ben Davis Streamline Vocaltone.

Thanks; they look like cast pieces, and remind me of the Harry Hayes blanks I came across recently. I must ask the owner if I can take some pictures of the casts; an exciting view.

I find quite exciting that in the good old days here in England there were few metal mouthpiece lines in cast metal. It is quite an investment. Nowadays Otto Link is the only make that comes to my mind (with quite poor results).

I find quite exciting that in the good old days here in England there were few metal mouthpiece lines in cast metal. It is quite an investment. Nowadays Otto Link is the only make that comes to my mind (with quite poor results).

What about the Selmer (Paris) metal pieces - are some of them cast ? I have a very old Selmer metal tenor with fluted sides, that I think is cast.

I also have a box of blanks that I bought from Phil Barone and they are castings, so I think he probably makes/made some metal pieces from castings.

Rhys

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom