All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Self recording. Cloud and how to do this?

selkie

I'm interested in trying to record my humble attempts and putting them on Cloud. I just got a sound card replaced and it has a mike socket on an external box. I have Windows 7 and not sure what i would record to. I am able to access cloud. Winamp & media player as well. All suggestions welcome.I'm not confident to do open mike so this way might give me a bit of confidence.:confused2:

Sinne

Self-recording might seem like a bit of a complicated affair at first, but once you get even remotely started it's all big fun. I also vouch for Audacity, it's the best, easiest and most understandable bit of recording software out there, and you'll be a long way ahead before you'll be needing more from your software. Plus, it's freeware!

There are loads of super-easy audacity tutorials, just google away and try things out! In the early days, I found it very helpful (and satisfying) to record something silly (like your own voice) for 30 minutes, and then trying out every effect, every setting, every equalizer in the entire program, just to get a feeling of what's what.

I also advise you to take a peek in this recent thread, for some good hints and tips: http://cafesaxophone.com/showthread.php?8843-I-take-mine-black-thank-you

Plus, you might want to keep a look out for this one, by the time you get the recordings rolling: http://cafesaxophone.com/showthread.php?9212-Beginners-Recordings-Thread

Let me finish with a word of warning: recording is a Very nice hobby, and I sometimes need to be detatched from my recording system with a crowbar. Have fun! :D

Di in France

If you're looking for a mic, I've just got a Zoom H2n, it's pretty good for easy, basic recording. It's a stand alone mic and the recordings can then be uploaded to the computer via usb, or it can be used to record directly to the computer. I've just come across Audacity too, looks good, I just have to get to grips with it.

flamingoer

Hi everyone,
I've got a Zoom H2 and Audacity and it's fine for recording the sax, but I can't work out
how to record the backing track at the same time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BW alto M2L . V16/A5. F.Louis 31/2

MLoosemore

Deluded Senior Member...
if you already have the backing track... presumably because you are playing to it?? can't you just mix the track with your recording in Audacity?

flamingoer

Thanks MLoosemore
I should have said , I'm using BIAB through the PC speakers and wonder why the mike doesnt pick it up.

Sinne

Thanks MLoosemore
I should have said , I'm using BIAB through the PC speakers and wonder why the mike doesnt pick it up.
Brew In A Bag? ;)

Try the audacity settings / preferences to make sure the program recognises the right input signal (Microphone). Everything I ever learned when it comes to recording is A: Trying stuff out (sometimes randomly, sometimes not). B: When I don't understand something, I google it. C: When something really doesn't seem to work, google the symptoms (ie: 'no sound when recording audacity), which leads to numerous forums where every possible solution is discussed. If this all doesn't work, feel free to ask away, either keep this thread going or send me a PM :)

Colin the Bear

Import the backing track into audacity. If it's protected change the input setting, play it and re record it.

Change input back to mic, hit record and play the sax.

flamingoer

Just worked out how to import the backing track as you suggested. ....and it worked!

Many thanks for your great help.

Now all I need is a slow version of 'If I should Lose You'

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom