Teacher Wanted Seeking a teacher for Alto

Hi all,

Following a successful panto season (backstage, I hasten to add!) I have been given some Royal reeds as a gift, as opposed to the standard Ricos I have been buying one at a time since I bought my alto a year ago ... Playing has been haphazard though I have got back into it recently (with the aid of one of the cast in particular :) )

However I feel it is probably time I found a teacher, as playing alone or the occasional session with a very talented friend when we are both free is somewhat hit and miss in terms of progress. Because I'm a freelance, my work schedule is, well, last-minute and inconsistent in terms of availability, so would a teacher even once a month be a help? My biggest current issue is fingerings, although I can read music relatively well as a result of having played flute and fife when younger.

I'm sure I managed to use the search function here some months ago and come up with some links, but have just failed! Can anyone help? I live in Leeds, West Yorkshire.

Thanks!

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
I'm sure the right teacher will be able to help. If you can find one willing to teach on an adhoc basis just to deal with specific issues it can only assist your progress...

Jx

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Certainly I'd recommend my teacher, he just moved house so I know he's looking for new students. Not 100% sure he does Leeds but I'll pm you his details and you can ask.

Jez Watson Guitar & Saxophone Tuition, Pontefract | Music Teachers - Yell

..but that's his old address, somewhere out near Hebdon Bridge now I think, but he's over this way for other lessons on certain days.
Is that our lovely @Jez Watson ?

Jx

Last edited:

Tiberius

It is indeed, his efforts, along with advice from here are solely responsible for any improvements I've made over the past few months. He used to live just down the road from me, but recently moved. Thankfully he still finds time to come over and spend most of Saturday morning being driven crazy by my lack of understanding of music that wasn't played by Deep Purple or Black Sabbath.

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Try me!

If it is because they are cheaper by the box, I don't agree that this is a saving for a beginner, who is likely to move on to a harder reed strength before the box is used up.
That and the fact they are so variable, if you buy one and don't like it, it could be a duff one, it puts you off but the next same make and strength may be you match made in heaven........

Jx

nigeld

I think I need a different ligature
Subscriber
That and the fact they are so variable, if you buy one and don't like it, it could be a duff one, it puts you off but the next same make and strength may be you match made in heaven........
I always buy two reeds at a time so I can compare them. But I have been trying out different reeds and also gradually increasing the strength of my reeds, so if I had been buying them by the box, I would have spent a lot more money and would have even more unused-and-probably-never-to-be-used reeds than I have.

I think you should buy your reeds in packs rather than one at a time. I get mine from Reeds Direct.
Very likely will buy packs, once I am more confident with the setup, but I had one 1.5, one 2.0, and one 2.5. Struggled with the 2.5 but found the 1.5 inadquate once I had been playing for about 2 months.... Still experimenting....

On the advice of the cast member who had been playing/tutoring, someone else bought me a couple of packs of Royals 2.0 and I love the sound :)

Thanks for the tip on where to buy too.

Tiberius

Sure as an absolute beginner you will probably move up strengths for the first couple of months, but after that there doesn't seem to be so much change...always worth having a few boxes spare for different mouthpieces too. After a few months of playing I now have about half a dozen mouthpieces, some require different strength reeds.

So whenever I buy a new mouthpiece, or say when my teacher turns up with a new mouthpiece, then it's useful to have a variety of reeds to try with it.

Another reason is when you want to play with the mouthpiece, so I have a couple of Chinese mouthpieces that I occasionally take a file to, sometimes after that you need a different strength reed.

Also there's plastic reeds, fibracel are easy to play as you don't have to wet them for a while, so they're convenient so I need some of those. They're not very consistent, so you need a few, but generally they don't come in boxes, you just buy one. I gave one to my teacher though as it was too hard for me.

Certainly I'd recommend my teacher, he just moved house so I know he's looking for new students. Not 100% sure he does Leeds but I'll pm you his details and you can ask.

Jez Watson Guitar & Saxophone Tuition, Pontefract | Music Teachers - Yell

..but that's his old address, somewhere out near Hebdon Bridge now I think, but he's over this way for other lessons on certain days.
Please do if you think he would be interested :) Thank you.

As to mouthpieces, I just have the basic one that came with the instrument.... No idea when or whether to experiment with others just yet! Some more consistency with tone first, methinks.

No replies to threads here, this is listing only. Please contact teachers/students by PC.
Top Bottom