All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Saxophones seeking a new saxophone for beginner

Frank Contreras

Does anyone have any thoughts on what I should be looking at as far as buying a Tenor sax? I am a beginner and have now rented for 5 months. Looking to buy at this point. I have seen Eastman 52, Yamahas, and Cannonball mainly. I am torn as which direction I should. I can afford all of the saxes mentioned up to $3200.00 just can't decide how to spend it. any thoughts? any tenors for sale? Many thanks, Frank

Greg Strange

Locality
Hamilton, Waikato, North Island, New Zealand
Hey Frank,

The best advice anyone can give around here is get to your nearest music shop with a decent range of saxes and if possible try every horn.

Everybody on here is going to nominate their favourite horn but at the end of the day it's the horn that works for you. If you have a teacher or a mentor it may be worth while seeking their advice as well.

With regards to the three brands you have referred to, Yamaha has been around the longest and very reliable; Cannonball have a loyal following and the Eastman horns are relatively new on the market from what I understand.

Happy honkin'

Greg S.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
In the states you definitely have a bigger choice.
If I were there I would probably try a Viking. Rick is a member here and really enthusiast about his instruments.
http://www.viking-instrument.net/Custom-Saxophones-Products.html

I must add that after 5 months you would not feel a huge difference between a YTS275 (or whatever Yamaha student is), a Viking or a 1961 MkVI.
I experimented with a cafe member, and he sounded exactly the same, including the ultracheap horn of his.

Vikings look very cool though. Some models even have British custom made keyguards, made by a skilled cafemember.

Ideally a Sequoia (see my signature) would be the best, but we are not distributed across the pond. :)

Last edited:

majordennis

Locality
Gone West
Hey Frank,

The best advice anyone can give around here is get to your nearest music shop with a decent range of saxes and if possible try every horn.

Everybody on here is going to nominate their favourite horn but at the end of the day it's the horn that works for you. If you have a teacher or a mentor it may be worth while seeking their advice as well.

With regards to the three brands you have referred to, Yamaha has been around the longest and very reliable; Cannonball have a loyal following and the Eastman horns are relatively new on the market from what I understand.

Happy honkin'

Greg S.
Completely endorse your comments Greg, take someone with you to add unbiased comments, with cash in hand you are in a very strong position, do a bit of research on mouthpieces as well so you can try various combinations, it does make a difference. Enjoy the journey.

Members online

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom