support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Second hand mouthpiece sources

Doodles4919

Locality
Stratford Upon Avon
Hey everyone!

Wondering if any of you have a go-to place for second hand mouth pieces. My teacher says it’s time to upgrade and aside from
Ebay I’ve no idea where to start.

After a Seimer C SA80 for an alto sax.

Thanks all

You can put a Wanted ad in the Yard, I'm sure someone will be able to help.

Buy lots of saxophones! There's often some good MPs in the case.

Meanwhile... I have a "vintage" Selmer S80 Alto C**. If that's any good let me know (I'll pay 5% forum fee as is customary. You might like to as well... it's for charity).

The C I had just sold. C is perhaps unusual, C* being the most common I believe.

Perhaps someone here could explain the differences between the three? @Phil maybe?

Last edited:
Perhaps someone here could explain the differences between the three? @Phil maybe?
I think it's just the tip opening. C is 1..6mm, C*1.7mm, C** 1.8mm. A range from very narrow to pretty narrow on alto. Facing length is identical at 22mm.

Buy lots of saxophones! There's often some good MPs in the case.

Meanwhile... I have a "vintage" Selmer S80 Alto C**. If that's any good let me know (I'll pay 5% forum fee as is customary. You might like to as well... it's for charity).

The C I had just sold. C is perhaps unusual, C* being the most common I believe.

My sax tutor had put a * after the C so sounds like that’s the one

What are you using currently?

Do you have any idea of what type of music you plan to use the piece for?

That makes a big difference.

You also need to consider tip size.

There is about a 3 or 4 thousandths of in inch between a C, a C* and C**
one star difference is really minimal unless you are playing a heavy setup in classical.

Id say one star is almost a margin of error.

In terms of resale value I recommend getting a C* rather than a C, since C* is more popular. C** would be fine I think.

In terms of resale value I recommend getting a C* rather than a C, since C* is more popular. C** would be fine I think.
There's a tenth of a mm between each of those sizes. I'd doubt most players would even notice the difference between a C* and a C**

Do you have any idea of what type of music you plan to use the piece for?

That makes a big difference.

You also need to consider tip size.
My sax tutor is a jazz musician and I’ve started playing that. But I like ska/rock/pop too so a real mixture. Not classical though.

It’s always tricky when somebody has a teacher who recommends something, then they go online and we all have different opinions. Can be confusing. To be fair the teacher knows the student better than we do but I have to agree that Selmer is boring.

Yam 7c is quite interesting and cheap and resellable.
Everyone should try a metalite. imo. If only to know why not.
There are tenor and alto comparison charts in TTS on here.

Don't go forking out a fortune. They all need the right reed and playing to sound good.
I use a Selmer soloist D myself on alto.

One of my friends are selling moouthpices in Denmark (greater Copenhagen). Maybe he can help you? I'm not sure if can post a link to his website here on CS?.

Back
Top Bottom