support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
  • All posts re: Fake (counterfeit) saxophones and scams are now in their own subforum here:

Fakes and Scams

Mouthpieces Second hand mouthpiece sources

lydian

Locality
USA
Did I miss the post listing all the ska/rock/pop players using a Selmer S80, or is the list too long to post?

Oops, nevermind. I found it. Here’s the complete list:

Dr G

Locality
Northern California
Did I miss the post listing all the ska/rock/pop players using a Selmer S80, or is the list too long to post?

Oops, nevermind. I found it. Here’s the complete list:

You missed a few junior high garage bands, but otherwise I think you’ve nailed it.

Phil

Locality
France
ask them to send you a pic of the facing. Or just find something else.

jonf

Locality
Betelgeuse
ask them to send you a pic of the facing. Or just find something else.
I had no intention of buying it, I was simply making a comment about this as a suggested MP for the person who started the thread.

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
London

Oops, nevermind. I found it. Here’s the comple

There was nothing there!
You missed a few junior high garage bands, but otherwise I think you’ve nailed it.
Apart from probably the best rock saxophone player ever, Lee Allen. He played a Selmer D (not the soloist, the more basic one that came with the saxophone)

“So. What mouthpiece are you using?”

“I used to use a Berg Larson 120/0 (wide tip opening, brightest tone chamber), but then I had my saxophone stolen-so I went to Mannys music store and said I needed a mouthpiece quick. And I fished around this box of old mouthpieces and guess what I’m on now? A Selmer (D). That’s hard rubber-I don’t like that cold metal in my mouth.”

lydian

Locality
USA
@Pete Thomas , of course there are a handful of outliers. But I still wouldn’t recommend a student of rock/pop “upgrade” to the most conservative stock mouthpiece out there just because a few big names settled for what happened to be in a random box or in the case. A Selmer is far from ideal for that kind of music.

As you know, a great player can make anything sound good, in spite of its many inherent limitations. So it can be made to work ok with enough effort. Maybe Lee’s chops were just too old and tired to handle the Berg anymore, so know mine are. The metal is only cold for a second, if at all. It’s body temperature by the time your warm hand puts it on the horn. So I’m skeptical of his true motivations.

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
London
The metal is only cold for a second, if at all. It’s body temperature by the time your warm hand puts it on the horn. So I’m skeptical of his true motivations.
He didn't mean his previous Berg was metal, I'm pretty sure it was rubber. he just mentioned that to clarify that he didn't/doesn't like metal mouthpieces.

Of course you are right a great player like Lee could make anything work. But he chose that specifically out of a drawer full at Manny's - he was looking for what was best for him not just trying to make do, ie he literally preferred that stock Selmer D out of all the others.

And with that mouthpiece his sound was less cutting than what we are used to on the old Little Richard tracks - but just as big and commanding. (That's a good word for his sound)

Lee was both a mentor and a hero, and of course at one stage I got a Selmer D to attempt to "channel" my hero.

Abject failure - so point taken. I still need some kind of chops in a box. :)

lydian

Locality
USA
@Doodles4919 , two Selmer mouthpieces were just posted in the For Sale section here. But if I were in your shoes, I'd aim for something more appropriate for the type of music you want to play. Your teacher is in the best position to advise you which. If he's recommending Selmer, then maybe he knows something that we don't which would make it a better fit for you.

thomsax

Locality
Sweden
As you know, a great player can make anything sound good, in spite of its many inherent limitations.
I talked to a saxplayer that had did regularu gigs at a restaurant.

Me: Are playing the D-8? (they did a liver recording).

Player: No. I use a J-7 when I'm playing at the restaurant. The D-8 is too loud. People are having a nice evening. Talking, eating .... I don't like to interfere too much. The smaller jazz piece is fine.

Less is more. A good player understand when to play less.

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
OP has purchased my C** from Yardsale.

Alsax

Hey everyone!

Wondering if any of you have a go-to place for second hand mouth pieces. My teacher says it’s time to upgrade and aside from
Ebay I’ve no idea where to start.

After a Seimer C SA80 for an alto sax.

Thanks all
I’d get yourself a Meyer 5MM or Otto Link 5. Both great mouth pieces as an upgrade. Readily available and reasonably priced

Top Bottom