support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
  • All posts re: Fake (counterfeit) saxophones and scams are now in their own subforum here:

Fakes and Scams

Mouthpieces Second hand mouthpiece sources

Doodles4919

Locality
Stratford Upon Avon
Hey everyone!

Wondering if any of you have a go-to place for second hand mouth pieces. My teacher says it’s time to upgrade and aside from
Ebay I’ve no idea where to start.

After a Seimer C SA80 for an alto sax.

Thanks all

MMM

Locality
SW of London Town
You can put a Wanted ad in the Yard, I'm sure someone will be able to help.

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
Buy lots of saxophones! There's often some good MPs in the case.

Meanwhile... I have a "vintage" Selmer S80 Alto C**. If that's any good let me know (I'll pay 5% forum fee as is customary. You might like to as well... it's for charity).

The C I had just sold. C is perhaps unusual, C* being the most common I believe.

Perhaps someone here could explain the differences between the three? @Phil maybe?

Last edited:

jonf

Locality
Betelgeuse
Perhaps someone here could explain the differences between the three? @Phil maybe?
I think it's just the tip opening. C is 1..6mm, C*1.7mm, C** 1.8mm. A range from very narrow to pretty narrow on alto. Facing length is identical at 22mm.

Doodles4919

Locality
Stratford Upon Avon
Buy lots of saxophones! There's often some good MPs in the case.

Meanwhile... I have a "vintage" Selmer S80 Alto C**. If that's any good let me know (I'll pay 5% forum fee as is customary. You might like to as well... it's for charity).

The C I had just sold. C is perhaps unusual, C* being the most common I believe.

My sax tutor had put a * after the C so sounds like that’s the one

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
What are you using currently?

Phil

Locality
France
Do you have any idea of what type of music you plan to use the piece for?

That makes a big difference.

You also need to consider tip size.

Phil

Locality
France
There is about a 3 or 4 thousandths of in inch between a C, a C* and C**
one star difference is really minimal unless you are playing a heavy setup in classical.

Id say one star is almost a margin of error.

nigeld

Too many mouthpieces
Café Supporter
Locality
Bristol, UK
In terms of resale value I recommend getting a C* rather than a C, since C* is more popular. C** would be fine I think.

jonf

Locality
Betelgeuse
In terms of resale value I recommend getting a C* rather than a C, since C* is more popular. C** would be fine I think.
There's a tenth of a mm between each of those sizes. I'd doubt most players would even notice the difference between a C* and a C**

Doodles4919

Locality
Stratford Upon Avon
Do you have any idea of what type of music you plan to use the piece for?

That makes a big difference.

You also need to consider tip size.
My sax tutor is a jazz musician and I’ve started playing that. But I like ska/rock/pop too so a real mixture. Not classical though.

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
London
It’s always tricky when somebody has a teacher who recommends something, then they go online and we all have different opinions. Can be confusing. To be fair the teacher knows the student better than we do but I have to agree that Selmer is boring.

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
Yam 7c is quite interesting and cheap and resellable.
Everyone should try a metalite. imo. If only to know why not.
There are tenor and alto comparison charts in TTS on here.

Don't go forking out a fortune. They all need the right reed and playing to sound good.
I use a Selmer soloist D myself on alto.

thomsax

Locality
Sweden
One of my friends are selling moouthpices in Denmark (greater Copenhagen). Maybe he can help you? I'm not sure if can post a link to his website here on CS?.

Top Bottom