All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

'Scrapheap Orchestra' BBC4 Sun 11 Dec

rhysonsax

What looks like a really interesting programme on BBC4 TV tonight. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b017zn47

Inspirational conductor Charles Hazlewood leads the challenge and charges a group of the UK's top instrument makers with the mission of transforming junk, broken furniture and the contents of roadside skips into an orchestra of instruments.

I'll be watching - how about you ?

Rhys

Chris

Well Known
Subscriber
Yes, it should be interesting....btw anyone got a scrap MK VI they don't want..

Chris

old git

Tremendous Bore
Featured one of Tom's Top Men. A Mr. Roth of sackbut fame.

Same guy did a good campanologist programme earlier in the week.

Another good gig on Sunday was YC and his Crazy Carollers in Sutton, at the appropriately named, for a member of the CaSLM, St Nick's.

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
we caught the later half of this programme - it was great to see what could be achieved,

maybe we shouldn't worry about our instruments so much ????

rhysonsax

I was mainly disappointed with the programme. Like lots of 'reality' shows it had such an artificial construct with an arbitrary objective and timescale. Apart from some fun and seeing some interesting personalities interact, did we really learn anything ?

It was interesting to see the different approaches of some of the different instrument makers and I had sympathy with the violin maker who tried to do some pretty radical things and mentioned that the trumpet maker used a completely conventional valve mechanism and just used scrap for the tubing and the bell. The percussion instrument maker seemed to have a good approach, but maybe he had the easiest job of all. Precious little time was given over to the maker of the oboe and bassoon which seemed to work quite well.

It was also quite interesting to see which bits of which instruments had to be conventional, from the fingerboards, strings to bow hairs and the clarinet mouthpiece and reeds.

Highlight to me was seeing the drum beaters made of stuffed teddies that the 'authorities' required to be changed in case they upset any children in the audience. So they ripped off the arms and legs, leaving a dismembered head - much better !

Maybe a more interesting programme would be to design and make completely new instruments from scrap, based on new ideas about sound generation, pitch control etc.

What did you think of it ?

Rhys

Last edited by a moderator:

ilovebech

Very interesting program, they spent too much on the drum maker,drummers ain't musicians in any case-hahahahah (kidding)

Filton

Have to agree with Rhys, I was , in the main, dissapointed by teh programme. It seemd to focus too much on a couple of individuals and skip the majority of th einteresting stuff. It was also a shame that the constraints were not better outlined. When you have on the one hand the violin maker, bow maker and percussionist trying to be totally innovative and on the other side the trumpet maker using a std trumpet valve block and adding a few bits of pipe . . . not truly using scrap.

The violin maler could probably have found some scrap wood and made a normal, if bad quality, standard violin from it . . . . . . but would that have taught us anything?

Targa

Among the pigeons
Subscriber
Looks like Rhys copied my opinion word for word before I typed it.

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
I recorded it last night as I was out singing in a concert with my chamber choir. Since, unusually, I didn't have a rehearsal tonight (oh... that was because of last night's concert and Thursday's....:shocked:) I watched it this evening.

I've been on the inside of a couple of TV programmes (anyone remember the 'come and sing Tallis Spem in Alium' a few years ago?) over the years. Sadly, the producers of these things think they need to create 'drama' and fabricate 'situations'. It's very annoying.

(Rant...In the Tallis it was the "OMG, I've never sung anything like this..." who suitably flounced around for the cameras - most of the 800 people there were experienced choral singers - you couldn't possibly do it otherwise. /End rant)

I thought the string makers had the hardest job. West Dean where the cello/bass guy was is the only place to teach viol making in the UK... I would have liked to have seen more of the oboe and basson making (the latter looked a bit like a curtal / dulcian kit I've seen).

The trumpet guy had the easiest job. I've seen Crispin Steele Perkins play a length of hosepipe and a funnel.... although I suspect making a valve mechanism was probably too hard in the timeframe.

Too much on the percussion guy - he was picked on because of his more overt 'eccentricity'

It was an interesting programme, but it could have been much better if they had ditched the bogus 'reality tv formula'.

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom