support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saying goodbye to an old Lafleur ...

They only thing I have against new/modern horns: They can be bright. Some saxes very bright. Keilwerth with wide bow is an exception. If there was a new sax made in 432 hz I would buy it!

My first ever tenor was a second hand B&H Lafleur, with a Berg Larsen on it was fine.
My second was an Earlham which, even with a Dukoff D5 on, was a dog!
Now playing a P. Mauriat 66R GL with a Guardala King on the end and it's frighteningly good!

Old thread resurrected but just a note:

"B&H Lafleur" were subcontracted out to different manufacturers.

This one is/was a Weltklang (new info to me, I had never seen a B&H by Weltklang).

(It is funny how Weltklangs get compliments when people do not realize they are Weltklangs, lol...it happens not un-occasionally).

Some are Italian, as well (Orsi if memory serves).

Then I just got one in here which is a Beaugnier, France.

I vaguely recall they used another maker for their Lafleur as well...

So to say "I had a Lafleur once"......
....or "those horns were good/terrible !"........

,,,,,they could have been any of several different makes, actually....

What are you playing now ????

I play an 80 year old Buffett Crampon SA 18-20 made in 1939 serial no. 936 and love the french sound it makes. It has it's quirks :You have to hold the horn quite high due to neck and sling ring position, and must have long fingers due to aligned tone holes But it's worth it.

2SA 18-20.JPG
P1160453.JPG

I vaguely recall they used another maker for their Lafleur as well...

So to say "I had a Lafleur once"......
....or "those horns were good/terrible !"........

,,,,,they could have been any of several different makes, actually....

This was definitely a Weltklang, I bought it for 80£, fixed it for 120£ and it served me well for 5 years until it didn't .Then I sold it for 320£. So despite their reputation, they have their uses. ;)

Back
Top Bottom