SYOS

"Say It", Michael Brecker's Tribute to John Coltrane

randulo

Positivity-obsessed
Subscriber
The music begins at about 00:01:17 There is an encyclopedia of saxophone lessons contained in the first ten seconds, starting with the first note, played five times. Try to play that a few times. Then try to play the next part. Talk about a genius making what's hard look easy?

Last edited:

Pete Effamy

Brecker was outstanding at so many aspects of playing and musicianship. I can’t think of a weak point. For a “notey “ player he used minimalist beauty at will.
Lots of dynamics, hard/soft sound, subtone. I’m not gonna list what he could do because he nailed everything on the list.

Pete Effamy

I just don’t understand where it came from, that level. I can see myself attaining the level of most players if I had practiced 10 hours per day, but not at all with Brecker.
The best racing drivers or jet pilots have very fast reactions, a lot quicker than most. Perhaps there is a similar physical reason that Michael was so good. To me, he was a freak.

randulo

Positivity-obsessed
Subscriber
I just don’t understand where it came from, that level. I can see myself attaining the level of most players if I had practiced 10 hours per day, but not at all with Brecker.
The best racing drivers or jet pilots have very fast reactions, a lot quicker than most. Perhaps there is a similar physical reason that Michael was so good. To me, he was a freak.
There was some kind of magic at work here. Everyone has heard of his prowess on the instrument, but there are tens of thousands of players who can play most of what he played that one might call "fireworks". You can find these on YouTube by searcjhing for "beast mode saxophone". But to hear him here on a simple ballad, playing the few notes, or on The Cost of Living, especially live in Paris on the EWI he played, is almost inhuman. What strikes me on this recording is that the little embellishments that even I try to use, those that are often over-used, are as if invented by him. This isn't idle worship, he wasn't "just" one of the best saxophonists in history, he was among the very best jazz musicians in history, in my opinion.

Staff online

Top Bottom