All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
PPT Mouthpieces

Saxy puzzle

navarro

Hi everyone, When I started playing in the not to distant past I hired a saxophone (alto) an Artemis.

As you know my last thread was "dilemma" being should I take my brand new TJ Raw on holiday with me.

After lot of good advice from the forum I decided against it.

However I have seen a second hand Artemis alto for sale which is described as a Trevor James Artemis.

My hire sax which I have not yet sent back has no mention at all of it being a TJ.

As I am fairly new to makes etc. has anyone come across a sax carrying the Artemis logo etc only, or indeed are there fakes around.

The one I have seen advertised is described as a TJ Alto Artemis circa 2006 for £250.00 hardly used. This might resolve my previous thread "dilemma" look forward to your comments. Regds N.

QWales

Hi everyone, When I started playing in the not to distant past I hired a saxophone (alto) an Artemis.

As you know my last thread was "dilemma" being should I take my brand new TJ Raw on holiday with me.

After lot of good advice from the forum I decided against it.

However I have seen a second hand Artemis alto for sale which is described as a Trevor James Artemis.

My hire sax which I have not yet sent back has no mention at all of it being a TJ.

As I am fairly new to makes etc. has anyone come across a sax carrying the Artemis logo etc only, or indeed are there fakes around.

The one I have seen advertised is described as a TJ Alto Artemis circa 2006 for £250.00 hardly used. This might resolve my previous thread "dilemma" look forward to your comments. Regds N.

Hi Navarro, I also started out on the Artemis which I upgraded earlier this year. Even though there is no mention of Trevor James on them they are Trevor James's beginner Sax. I upgraded to the TJ Revolution II but tbh my Mk II Artemis was not far off it on sound quality, I guess the mouthpiece plays a very big part in that. I have quite a good idea of the TJ saxes and their prices as I keep my eye on the market. You can pick up a very nice used Artemis on Ebay for under £200 and for £250 I would expect it to be like new.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

navarro

Thanks Q, oddly enough I feel very comfortable on the student Artemis the hire firm sent but it is due to go back. I have to confess that the new TJ Raw I bought has developed a couple of glitches in the lower register D and C and my teacher is puzzled by it. I am now faced with the prospect of returning it to the factory for diagnosis which is a little disturbing considering it is barely a month old. Thanks for the information on the Artemis and the corresponding price guide. I will certainly keep my eye on the market place.

best regards N.

QWales

When you say "developed a couple of glitches" do you mean that they were not there when you first had the horn? I was never able to play a low C or C+ on mine until I bought a decent mouthpiece & ligature.

Targa

Among the pigeons
Subscriber
I think you should be able to get a used Artemis for less than £200.
I bought a new alto in 2008 for £260.

navarro

Hi Q, I was able to play them quite comfortably when I first got the instrument. My teacher a very experienced sax and clarinet man used his mouthpiece for a blast and he hit the same problem. Tomorrow he is seeing a whizz kid sax technician who will have a look at it. I hope he can right it, I really don`t want to send it back to the factory. I`ll keep you posted. Regds N.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Hi Q, I was able to play them quite comfortably when I first got the instrument. My teacher a very experienced sax and clarinet man used his mouthpiece for a blast and he hit the same problem. Tomorrow he is seeing a whizz kid sax technician who will have a look at it. I hope he can right it, I really don`t want to send it back to the factory. I`ll keep you posted. Regds N.

Since you are in London, there are at least a couple technicians that can give you a diagnosis on the spot: one in Putney and one in Ealing are the first coming to my mind. reasonably priced too (they will not charge you if it is your embochure's problem, but they will tell you off)

navarro

Thanks aldevis, The matter has been righted and I am going to get a full report as to what the problem was. My teacher has the sax now and is going to give it a blast tonight then return it to me on Sunday together with the repair report . Regds N.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom