Saxophones Saxplus

OP
Tommy Ng

Tommy Ng

I see it is a US site - careful of the import tax/duty.
oppps, too late, i have ordered two mouthpieces .... totally unaware of import tax at all.

I bought 2 Lakey, one for alto and one for tenor. Selling at about £38 each. The best i can get here is £80 each.

jonf

Worry not, Tommy. Worst case scenario is that you get clobbered for VAT, Import Duty and a tenner handling charge. There'll only be one handling charge as it'll be a single box, so given that you got them for half the UK price you'll still be ahead even if you have to pay all these.

On the other hand you may get lucky. I just have - I bought two mouthpieces from the States and they got delivered without any payment from me.

One odd thing has happened a couple of times. I've imported stuff and been charged VAT but got away without any import duty. Dunno how that works - if I'm assessed as liable for VAT I should be paying duty too, but I have never queried it.

Good luck anyway, and enjoy your new mouthpieces.

Jon

thomsax

I have a feeling that around 1200 s e k (c £ 120.00) is a limit for the Swedish custom to charge fees like sales taxes and import duty. I guess the cost will be higher than they bring in. Maybe it's the same in UK? Better to buy less and often?

Thomas

Moz

Worry not, Tommy. Worst case scenario is that you get clobbered for VAT, Import Duty and a tenner handling charge. There'll only be one handling charge as it'll be a single box, so given that you got them for half the UK price you'll still be ahead even if you have to pay all these.

On the other hand you may get lucky. I just have - I bought two mouthpieces from the States and they got delivered without any payment from me.

One odd thing has happened a couple of times. I've imported stuff and been charged VAT but got away without any import duty. Dunno how that works - if I'm assessed as liable for VAT I should be paying duty too, but I have never queried it.

Good luck anyway, and enjoy your new mouthpieces.

Jon
I ordered a didgeridoo from Australia a few years ago. It cost £140 but by the time is was in my sticky mitts the cost had risen to £243.37. Import duty was charged on the item and on the added postal charge, there was charge from the bonded warehouse at Heathrow then they added the estimated cost of shipping from Heathrow to me here in Cornwall after they had a total for all the charges those [insert altered name of a famous of German aircraft manufacturer here] then charged VAT on the whole lot!

It was supposed to come in to the country as an aboriginal artefact but the VAT militia said is was a musical instrument and charged me the full amount.

Remember in future that VAT is the last tax to be applied and is charged on all previous taxes and charges.

Good luck!

Martin

Saxlicker

Hi Tommy,
I have used saxplus, it was fine.
Also if the best you can find in the UK is £80 then you should still benefit from £38 a piece. Infact my experience seems to be that anything less than £100 total value just gets pushed along without customs scrutiny. Don't want to raise your hopes too much though!

Moz

lol, Fokker was dutch, but made the things for the Kaiser. And Fokker translates literally into english with the altered spelling. But without being a swear word.
You are correct. It is now part of the Stork Fokker Aerospace group. Of course we must bear in mind that Stork Fokker is a company name and not a description of someone who indulges in the ancient practice of stork fokking because as we all know that's how babies are delivered! :)))

Martin

daveysaxboy

Big ruff Geordie bendy metal blower
Done many deal's from the USA.I mention the tax duty when buying mp's and ask for them to say there worth much less and a gift.Been stung to many times and once i got a sax from the states and got lifted for duty.You have to be cheeky and tell them,if they moan just take your cash else were.

berniesax

yer i ordered my otto link tone master m/mouthpiece from the states much cheaper and never had to pay import duty
good luck !
p.s
excuse the pun ! but keep us posted

berniesax

sorry tommy
yet another senior moment ! i was saxplus that i dealt with. a mr mark crutchfield processed my order and they where very good to deal with £75 including shipping ain,t bad for a new tone master !
bernie

OP
Tommy Ng

Tommy Ng

sorry tommy
yet another senior moment ! i was saxplus that i dealt with. a mr mark crutchfield processed my order and they where very good to deal with £75 including shipping ain,t bad for a new tone master !
bernie
you got a very good bargain. :welldone

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
You know why they used to be customs and excise? Excise as in remove (money, as much as possible) and custom - customary for the crown to take your hard earned.....:)))

Good luck. Have been there myself.

Top Bottom