Tone Saxophonist playing a violin concerto with a perfect sound of violin

randulo

Europe
Subscriber
Months ago I found a YouTube video of a guy playing a violin concerto and sounding very, very much like a violin. I can't find it now. Here's a description:
It is NOT a saxophone concerto
It was a man and I think just piano
It was Italian composer I think, but a name I didn't know
The saxophonist did not have a common "anglo name"
The notes were played with violin intonation, all the little nuances were there, not just an imitation.

I have looked through numerous videos with saxophones supposedly sounding like violin or playing violin pieces or the Philip Glass piece. None of the dozens I saw had the exact sound. It was amazing. Has anyone seen this person?

FOUND IT: see further down

Last edited:

randulo

Europe
Subscriber
Thanks, but no. The was NOT a composition for saxophone at all, but one for violin and the guy sounded exactly like a violin. I think it was piano accompaniment only.

randulo

Europe
Subscriber
You say Italian, so it's likely to be something by Vivaldi, possibly Correlli although he didn't write any concerti
That's just it. I don't recall hearing of the composer, so none of the obvious, unless my memory is completely warped. OTH, it may not be a concerto, but it definitely was for violin and I think it was based on an old Italian folk song, as so such music often is. Or may the name looked Italian but was Swiss or that border region? WHat's strange is that I can't find it, whereas before I did.

That's just it. I don't recall hearing of the composer, so none of the obvious, unless my memory is completely warped. OTH, it may not be a concerto, but it definitely was for violin and I think it was based on an old Italian folk song, as so such music often is. Or may the name looked Italian but was Swiss or that border region? WHat's strange is that I can't find it, whereas before I did.
Darn, it took me 11 minutes to type my response :p
Storm is a movement from the four seasons, inspired by a poem.

tenorviol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
The 'Four Seasons' are the first 4 of a set of 12 concerti by Vivaldi. Each is set around a poem, which is printed in the music. The full name of the set is: "The contest between harmony and invention"

tenorviol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
Have you tried searching your browser history?

randulo

Europe
Subscriber
@Ne0Wolf7 THAT'S IT! Funny, now that I've been playing a little, it sounds less like a violin.It's just the phrasing is unusual. Either my hearing has changed or I saw a different version. I think this was the piece, and the guy though. He does some ferocious chops.
Edit: I found it, once the composer and piece were identified. Posed the video further down.

Last edited:

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
@Ne0Wolf7 THAT'S IT! Funny, now that I've been playing a little, it sounds less like a violin.It's just the phrasing is unusual. Either my hearing has changed or I saw a different version. I think this was the piece, and the guy though. He does some ferocious chops.
There is an amazing video of a Japanese Bari Sax player playing Czardas by Vitoria Monti.
View: https://youtu.be/RVOBQBamjDA

randulo

Europe
Subscriber
STOP THE PRESSES! HOLD THE FRONT PAGE!

This is the one I saw, played by Maxime Bazerque, Claire Arbus (piano). I wasn't dreaming, at least to me, not all, but a lot of the notes do sound like a violin with his skillful "imitation" of violin attack and vibrato. Especially at 00:03:00 and near the end.

Top Bottom