support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophone - The Universal Method download

I downloaded this about a year ago, and I use for some of the exercises. The book is showing its age. Some of the exercises seem for key arrangements that appear to have been superseded. Also, the inclusions are not necessarily in order of difficulty, at least once one is past the introductory sections. Hence it might be more suitable for learning with a teacher. All in all, the book is IMO still worth using, and it has been said by others that if one mastered its contents in their entirety, one would have become an excellent player.

still useful

I was introduced to this book by Kathy Stobart who gave me lessons when I first started playing in the 1980s. I still use it with my pupils from time to time and it is particularly useful for beginners who are learning to read music at the same time as learning the sax - there are pages and pages of progressive exercises to develop speed of eye and hand! It does seem a bit daunting when compared with modern slim saxophone tutors but it certainly is thorough and, as a free download, a must-have!

This looks great - I'll start using some of this I'm sure. Obviously I'll tweak it for modern instruments!

This looks great - I'll start using some of this I'm sure. Obviously I'll tweak it for modern instruments!

Oh god, I can see lots of progressive exercices heading my way some time soon

mamos

Kev,

This is the very book I used as a background for those fallen warrior pads on my True Tone :)

My instrumental music professor in college required we complete the entire book by the end of our freshman year. I've started through it again - and I can't believe I ever played some of those pieces. I panic when I can't find it on the bookshelf now - thanks for the download link. :welldone

Wow - just checked amazon.com - prices for used versions range from $16.00 for a newer (blue cover) copy - up to the $65 range for the old covered version (the red ink). Your link is not only useful - but a real bargain!

Last edited by a moderator:
Methinks this one will raise a few standards, especially mine!!

All that book in your freshman year.... That's impressive. Did you get time for anything else?

It was brutal - but when you're 18 you don't really notice? To be an instrumental music major was to be a kind of musical hermit. Master classes were required 2 days/week for 1.5 hours each. She assigned the pages - I had to do them without mistakes or do them over again to her satisfaction. It really taught me a lot of discipline, I did not want to repeat the pages so I practiced....a lot.

Other than band rehearsals I was in a soundproof practice room - locked in! *sigh* wish I could do it all over again! :)

............my pace is MUCH slower the 2nd time around! :)))

Hmmm.... I think I'm beginning to understand the moonlighting now.

Really good to go at your own pace, but I guess it gets fristrating when you don't get enough sax time. Need a lot more myself, kids & work get in the way.

Ordered a fresh blue covered copy from amazon yesterday - it arrived today! :) I also ordered H. Klose's "25 Daily Exercises For Saxophone" published by Carl Fischer. It completes the triple threat along with "Taming the Saxophone".

Sax time is not easy to find here either - 4 kids and the dogs, cat and cows.... I think I better keep practicing outside and continue to bring my music stand in the kitchen and practice while I'm waiting for dinner to cook - multi-tasking is definitely required when there are kids around. If you figure out any other ways to squeeze in practice time - please let me know :)

I play in the ad breaks when watching telly

That really annoys Jules

mamos

Thanks for heads up on this book. I use the Otto Langey sax tutor as advised by my teacher, also started using Larry Teal , Art of Sax Playing, great book.

Ordered a fresh blue covered copy from amazon yesterday - it arrived today! :) I also ordered H. Klose's "25 Daily Exercises For Saxophone" published by Carl Fischer. It completes the triple threat along with "Taming the Saxophone".

Sax time is not easy to find here either - 4 kids and the dogs, cat and cows.... I think I better keep practicing outside and continue to bring my music stand in the kitchen and practice while I'm waiting for dinner to cook - multi-tasking is definitely required when there are kids around. If you figure out any other ways to squeeze in practice time - please let me know :)

I tried taking my soprano on holiday to Greece last year - but I wouldn't recommend it. Minor diplomatic incident at the airport (wife jokingly told a security guard the black case contained a "machine gun"). We got released in time to catch the flight though.

The neigbours at the resort objected after about 20 minutes practice - although to be fair, it did squeak a lot more than usual. I blame the hot climate personally. Not a success, overall.......

dooce said:
I tried taking my soprano on holiday to Greece last year - but I wouldn't recommend it.

I blame the hot climate personally. Not a success, overall.......

Ahw that's tough, I always take me alto traveling and yes it's not easy to practise but well worth it

You meet the neighbours sooner.

.... Minor diplomatic incident at the airport (wife jokingly told a security guard the black case contained a "machine gun"). We got released in time to catch the flight though.

You were very very lucky. There's zero tolerance for this sort of thing. If this had held the flight up - or caused luggage to be unloaded, you'd have a court case and possible prison to contend wth...

Many years ago (before the airport staff were anywhere near as twitchy as today) a friend made this mistake, joked there was a bomb in his luggage, saying it was on the theory that if he had the bomb the chances of there being another one were zero (quoting a comedian, somehere). He was arrested, and ended up in court, fined and a big legal bill to pay.

You were very very lucky. There's zero tolerance for this sort of thing. If this had held the flight up - or caused luggage to be unloaded, you'd have a court case and possible prison to contend wth...

Many years ago (before the airport staff were anywhere near as twitchy as today) a friend made this mistake, joked there was a bomb in his luggage, saying it was on the theory that if he had the bomb the chances of there being another one were zero (quoting a comedian, somehere). He was arrested, and ended up in court, fined and a big legal bill to pay.

Happily they are little more relaxed at Birmingham International. And the wife can muster up a very fetching smile in times of extremis.......