All profit supporting   special needs music

Saxophones Saxophone suggestions.

Classicalsax292

Classicalsax292

Locality
annapolis
Good afternoon. I've been playing the alto saxophone for roughly 5 years, and I've been using student-model saxophones. To start, I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to upgrade and if it's really worth spending all that money. Secondly, I would appreciate suggestions for saxophone brands and models. I've done research on Selmer, Yanagisawa, Yamaha, and other companies but I don't know which one is better for me (although I'm slightly leaning towards a Yanagisawa). Any help would be appreciated greatly. Thank you!

Jeanette

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
Which student model are you using?

In my opinion everyone should have the best sax that they can afford but best for me may not be best for you :)

Also bear in mind plenty of pro sax players can make a student sax sing beautifully.

Before you upgrade go and play as many as you can, you can't tell from reading about them how they will feel in your hands.

Jx

Stephen Howard

Stephen Howard

Locality
UK
FWIW, if your forum handle indicates you're a classical saxophonist you'll probably want to steer towards a Yanagisawa.
Used to be the all the classical sax players that came by the workshop were using Selmers - but in the last few years that's shifted to Yanagisawa. Apparently the cheaper models are favoured over the more expensive ones.

Locality
UK
I've had a 991 curved soprano, a 901 straight sop, an A800 Elimona alto and they are lovely instruments. I just wanted the Selmer brand of lovely but you won't go at all wrong with a Yani. I didn't personally like the 901 sop too much as I felt that it had a smaller sound - probably okay for classical though.
Well-made, hang together well, good finish, play well.

JayeNM

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Locality
New Mexico, US
Which student model are you using?

Also bear in mind plenty of pro sax players can make a student sax sing beautifully.
Yes, it'd help to know where you are coming from in order to make apt suggestions.

Is a 'student model' a Cecilio or Mendini ? Or a Yamaha 23 or Jupiter 6XX ? There's a vast difference between those, yet people describe all as 'student' horns.

Secondly, OK we are gleaning you are a classical player....but if so, is it primarily classical you play ?
Also, do you intend on making it an academic major in college ? Or would you just be playing more informally ?

Ivan

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire
2nd the Yani for classical - ex-pupil of mine plays in the Ferio Saxophone Quartet and is a Yani player on both alto and bari.
Oh go on...

Gi' us more of a clue...

Superb piece of playing... though I'm glad I don't have to look as pained

Locality
UK
Oh go on...

Gi' us more of a clue...

Superb piece of playing... though I'm glad I don't have to look as pained
The person? My ex-pupil Shevaughan from about 7 years or so ago plays baritone sax. They're an excellent quartet. I saw them debut at the Wigmore Hall a few years back - quite odd from a teacher's aspect. Boot on other foot and all that.

jbtsax

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
I have a viewpoint that is a bit different. Any top quality saxophone can be well suited to be played in a classical style. It is true that different makes and models lean toward a slightly different tone color for lack of a better word. However, the mouthpiece, reed and the player's concept have a much greater influence on the tone than the saxophone itself.

I would suggest choosing a saxophone with comfortable ergonomics, that is cosmetically appealing and fits your budget.

JayeNM

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Locality
New Mexico, US
This is very true. I know a player who plays ina very good classical quartet in SF, they ahve been together now for around 17 years... and she actually plays a Conn Naked Lady; the other 3 players sticking to French Selmers. Sounds very good as a group, nothing doesn't 'blend'.

Granted, in an academic setting you would likely get a LOT of objections.....which is why I asked what scenarios/contexts are gonna be the most common for you (OP)....

Colin the Bear

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
Professional, intermediate, student. Meaningless terms imo. Would we apply them to anything else?

Professional lunch
Intermediate car
Student sofa.

A thing is well made or not. Fit for purpose or not.

The rest is down to personal preference.

Some very expensive lemons out there and some very well made budget horns.