support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophone Quartets

StanleySaxMan

Locality
Detroit, Michigan
I really enjoy listening to saxophone quartets. Lately I have listening to a quartet called clair-obscur saxophonquartett. I also enjoy listening to the Rascher Saxophone Quartet. Does anyone have a favorite quartet that they like to listen to?

The Ancia Saxophone Quartet based in Minneapolis is a great outfit. NAXOS 8.559616 is one of their recordings of American Music. One of the foremost Australian quartets is Continuum Sax, located in Sydney.

Clair-Obscur Saxophonquartett

5615957138_c6cf9b73d7.jpg

Rascher Saxophone Quartet

Rascher-Saxophone-Quartet-Foto_Malcom-Crowthers.jpg

What is the girl playing in this quartet?

That's not an Alto. What the heck is it? It's cute whatever it is. It looks smaller than an Alto.

New Century Saxophone Quartet

president.jpg

I thought Bill Clinton played a harmonica?
He had something to do with a monica I'm sure.
What's that he's holding?
It's another one of those midget saxophones
I didn't know they made "real" soprano saxes
I thought the sporanos were all straight
like pregnant oboes made of brass

Got to be The Four Brothers.

Rascher Saxophone Quartet

What is the girl playing in this quartet?

Curved soprano.

Given Rascher's know fixation on Bueschers, they're probably all playing Bueschers. None look like Conns.

I've seen quite a few posts around the forums saying the Buescher curved sops had the best tone & intonation, especially the pre-WWII ones. But I'm only reporting what I've read, haven't really had an opportunity to listen for myself.

New Century Saxophone Quartet

I thought Bill Clinton played a harmonica?
He had something to do with a monica I'm sure.
What's that he's holding?
It's another one of those midget saxophones
I didn't know they made "real" soprano saxes
I thought the sporanos were all straight
like pregnant oboes made of brass

Try looking up Bill Clinton and sax on youtube.....

Writ about to be served on SD in Heaven, still have hair.

Also The Four Brothers from The Herd possibly matched by the Basie "Atomic" sax section has to be the saxophone quartet of all time and genre.

The Four Brothers Sax Quartet

IMG_1511_001.JPG

Are these the Four Brothers you're talking about Harry Git?
I originally thought you meant that you had four brothers

Curved soprano.

Given Rascher's know fixation on Bueschers, they're probably all playing Bueschers. None look like Conns.

I've seen quite a few posts around the forums saying the Buescher curved sops had the best tone & intonation, especially the pre-WWII ones. But I'm only reporting what I've read, haven't really had an opportunity to listen for myself.

This a modern piece that the Rascher Sax Quartet commissioned, it is definitely different.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a more recent picture of the New Century Sax Quartet (without William Jefferson Clinton).

NewCenturySaxQuartet.jpg

Below are some links to some excerpts of my favorites from their Main Street USA album. Michael Stephenson's soprano playing is exquisite on Summertime.

Somewhere

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, but sorry I couldn't listen to it all. Gave up after the first 60 seconds. Not for me.

Well, I did listen to it all. It is probably not as high on my list of favourites as the composer would like, but it shows what saxophonists have to be able to do if they want to play contemporary music.

Well, I did listen to it all. It is probably not as high on my list of favourites as the composer would like, but it shows what saxophonists have to be able to do if they want to play contemporary music.

Fair point, but I've no wish to play or listen to stuff I don't like.

Back
Top Bottom