support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophone Quartet

GJ77

Locality
Dunmow, Essex.
I'd have loved to have come to the London meet but I've just spent a very pleasurable afternoon playing with my quartet.

I just thought I'd share my enthusiasm for this ensemble line-up. A sax quartet really is a wonderful, versatile group to play with and I'm finding that it's really improving certain aspects of my playing. There are also some fantastic, challenging arrangements out there.

Who else plays with a quartet regularly and which charts/arrangers do you recommend.

This is us by the way https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tMio_efSbA&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:
I play in an SATB Sax Quartet - 4 ladies.
I have been in our quartet for about 3 years, but our current line-up is only a few months old - we have had 3 different sopranos so far!

We play a wide range of music - classical, Jazz, blues, easy listening, and have had a couple of pieces arranged for us by a fellow sax player!

I thoroughly enjoy it.

It's the variety that I enjoy the most I think. And it makes a change from playing with loud rhythm sections.

might be a daft question but is that Madhu on sop?..

Very nice, enjoyed that very much. No neighbours around then?

Just had a listen to a couple of your recordings, very nice playing.

A while a go I got together with @trimmy and @tenorviol to play, it was good fun and much better than playing on your own :)

Jx

Thanks for the kind words,

The soprano player's neighbours seem to be surprisingly tolerant.

@Nick Wyver , the piece is called 'The Delightful' from 'A Study In Contrasts' by Sammy Nestico.

I'm the tubby, bald one on bari.

I do love a good saxophone quartet and really enjoyed your clips.

Strange titles you have for all the clips !

Depending on how funky you want to get, it is worth looking at Tony Dagradi's sax quartet arrangements http://www.tonydagradi.com/store. This is one of my favourites:

In a different style, this is also very nice:

And Michael Nyman works really well for sax quartet:

I should try to get together and play quartets again - it is years since I did that.

Rhys

Do you have any idea how difficult it is to resist making a derogatory joke about Sheppey right now?

And I'm a native of Essex!!!

I played tenor (I'm normally an alto player) in a quartet last Summer and will do so again this year. It is great fun. You can hear the harmonies well and use a wide range of dynamics - like down to a proper pp, rather than band level pp (I'm always reminded of the young Louis Armstrong in Fletcher Henderson's band, asked why he was playing so loud when it said pp - he said he thought it meant Pound Plenty.)

I don't choose the arrangements but some of the parts I have come from www.4a4quartet.com which has quite a range of stuff. Also some of ours, eg Let's Face the Music and Dance, and Moondance, are SATB sax quartets from Simply Reeds arranged by Jon Halton.

I played tenor (I'm normally an alto player) in a quartet last Summer and will do so again this year. It is great fun. You can hear the harmonies well and use a wide range of dynamics - like down to a proper pp, rather than band level pp (I'm always reminded of the young Louis Armstrong in Fletcher Henderson's band, asked why he was playing so loud when it said pp - he said he thought it meant Pound Plenty.)

I don't choose the arrangements but some of the parts I have come from www.4a4quartet.com which has quite a range of stuff. Also some of ours, eg Let's Face the Music and Dance, and Moondance, are SATB sax quartets from Simply Reeds arranged by Jon Halton.

Thanks for that YC we struggled to find music for our trio perhaps they will have something @tenorviol :)

Jx

I sometimes wonder if Phillipe Marillia ever played saxophone, especially Baritone. I think some 4a4 quartet arrangements are by him (I might be wrong, though). Some of his arrangements are rather good, and others leave you wondering what he was thinking at the time of the arrangement - octave / 12th leaps! Etc.