All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Saxophone quartet CD recommendations?

PaulM

I've been playing a CD by the Apollo Saxophone Quartet called First and Foremost a lot recently and thoroughly enjoying the experience. The CD contains works by Chick Corea, Michael Nyman and a couple of other composers whose names escape me at the moment. I don't have many sax quartet recordings so I was wondering if any forum members have any favourites they would recommend?

Cheers, Paul

jbtsax

Subscriber
The New Century Saxophone Quartet has several CD's representing many different styles of music. My favorite is the Main Street USA which features songs from Gershwin's Porgy and Bess and songs from Leonard Bernstein's West Side Story. Their website has sound clips of some of the songs on each CD to help select those that appeal to you. Their repertoire is a banquet of great saxophone quartet literature in every style imaginable.

Andante cantabile

One I like is the Ancia Saxophone Quartet recording of American Music for Saxophone Quartet (NAXOS 8.559616). Mostly contemporary material.

PaulM

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. Great stuff and I'm working my way through them.

On jbt's recommendation I've downloaded the the New Century Saxophone Quartet Main Street USA CD from iTunes. I was playing it in the kitchen the other day and my baroque music loving wife said "Ooh that's nice" and you know what? She's absolutely right, it's delightful and very well played. If you like Gershwin, Bernstein and similar you're in for a treat.

PaulM

From the webpage: "Music of Soft Machine revamped and revisited through imaginative arrangements and the inspirational playing of the Delta Saxophone Quartet".

Yikes, that takes me back: must have been late sixties or early seventies. I recall having (two was it?) large circular sheets of vinyl with Soft Machine Third on it. Heaven knows where it is now. I wonder if it still sounds as progressive as it did way back then? I'd have to buy a record player to find out!

spike

Old Indian
Lenny Pickett with the Borneo Horns, - not absolutely certain that was a quartet, certainly up there with the New Century Quartet. "Alex Foster" and "Radio Mystery Blues" etc.

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom