supportTutorialsCDsPPT mouthpieces

Saxophone manufacture

Mamos

I remember seeing a program on the telly when I was a kid showing how they made sax's

It was amazing how they hand formed the bell with a hammer

Does anyone know of any footage of sax's being made

mamos

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Café Supporter
I'm hoping to take a summer holiday in China this year and visit a few of the (er, ahem) better factories.

Will take some videos and report back.

OP
Mamos

Mamos

I can't wait to go into work tomorrow and watch these on broadband

I only have dial up at home so there is not a hope in hell I'm going to be able to watch these tonight

Thanks for posting

this really is a great site

mamos

thomsax

There is a guy in Copenhagen, near Hotel Angeleterre at Kongens Nytorv, who is building saxes. His name is Peter Jessen and he makes tenor sax, mezzo-sopran in G, mpc's and necks. Look at his website and you can get a hint how his saxes are built. The keys aren't made by Jessen. The website is in Danish, but click on pics.

Peter Jessen: http://www.gottfried.dk/peter/

Thomas

TonyMoroney

Stunning stuff

It makes you wonder how they manage to make them for the money

mamos
Yup, I think the same thing everytime I see that Vid, it's no longer a surprise to me that they *can* be so expensive and makes me even more surprised when they're not (Walstein).

But what surprises me even more is that Sax tech's seem to charge less than a car mechanic, which seems wrong somehow?

T.

Rogerb

It was the engravers who most got my attention...the skill and confidence required....

(I wonder what they did with the one(s) they let the presenter loose on!!)

berniesax

have a stroll around "u tube" where you will see the making of a saxophone /bell/stack/crook and other instruments that you might find of interest all very corporate but very informative !
good luck

berniesax

sorry senior moment

if you go on to u tube and type in "yamaha japan sax factory tour" very informative and theres also "how its made" from reeds to saxes and more
hope this helps
cheers

Steve M

I remember seeing a program on the telly when I was a kid showing how they made sax's

It was amazing how they hand formed the bell with a hammer

Does anyone know of any footage of sax's being made
It was either Sesame St or Playschool - can't remember which. The clip can be seen on Youtube, but I can't remember what I typed in to find it.

Top Bottom