support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophone & Jazz Workshop Leigh on Sea Essex

alto andy

Locality
Southend on sea
Hi everyone I went to the co-op a while back and as most of you know it's early days for me and could not do much in the band environment that I had walked into but on Thursday I went back to have another go with more practice and really enjoyed myself . When I walked in after a hard days work I went to the back of the room and set my alto up quitley with no fuss as to not bring attention to myself as I felt so nervous for the task ahead I had a cup of coffe just before black with 3 sugars to keep me alert . Next thing I know I'm being told of for hiding at the back and am told to move forward with everyone else so now I'm looking around and seeing real nice saxophones everywhere I look and I start talking to a soprano player next to me who is now showing me the tune impressions which I'm looking over preparing my self . Ok no more time to ponder the music starts and away we go and I play the bits that are easy to follow fall out and come back in as to not ruin the night for everyone else I am now starting to relax and enjoy myself but then suddenly we are tol we are going to solo so my heart is going mental really nervous I think worse than when I'm dismantling a giant tree over a house with my chainsaw ( I'm a arborist or tree surgeon if you don't know what that is ) . Anyway it is nearly my turn and the sop player gets some sheets with blues scales cords on and before I know it it's my turn and I'm giving it all I have and can say I have just had one of the best nights of my life . Anyway thanks if you did read it to the end I just wanted to share that I had survived :) and although my playing was not I do feel Epic .

What a great report and thanks for sharing it with us all - I won't hide up the back in joining in your obvious success that Thursday night. Making good contact with people in the same field is always brilliant and can be such an encouragement in terms of our ongoing development. I remember a while ago going to a sax and trumpet workshop run by Simon Allen (sax) and Martin Shaw (trumpet). The latter had inspired me to play flugelhorn and trumpet when I had seen him with the Matt Wates Sextet a while previously. To be able to join in playing Cantaloupe Island at the workshop, with Martin on piano (others on drums and bass) and then to do an improvisation for 32 bars was just so special and inspiring for me at the time.

Keep on developing!

Cheers Tom . I think the message I was trying to pass on is if I can do it anyone can :) .

Can you put more details of the co-op on here please I.e. what it is, who it caters for, when, where etc.
Cheers.

Hi mate if you go on the computer and put jazz co-op Southend it has all the details on there :).

Bit of a random question really, but when I see that you was a tree surgeon, I was wondering if Gary Hamilton in Southend, is / was your teacher. I only ask as I take lessons with him and the guy that is usually leaving as I arrive on some weeks is a tree surgeon as well.... Also I was looking to join something like the the co-op or havering saxophonic once I am playing a bit better than I currently do. Im fine at home, but with an audience, well i think I would be laying a few bricks to say the least!

You would be very welcome at the co-op as they have all levels there I'm rubbish really but pushing myself to get better :) . If you fancy a jam any time PM me your number and we can meet up :) I probably jam with someone at least once a week . Tony p a member on here has a jam nearly every week which is great for me as he is a great player helps me keep motivated .

I would PM you but no clue where you can do that? !!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would PM you but no clue where you can do that? !!
Click on his member name against any post. Brings up a menu with private message as an option.
Alternatively navigate in from the notifications link at the top of every page.

Great report

There'll be no stopping you now

Just read the latest on Andy's thread - the Southend Jazz Coop meets Saturday mornings - venue Hadleigh Old Fire Station (yes, hot jazz!!) at 10am - 1 pm. All playing standards welcome. The Thursday evening session is run by John Seeley, look up John Seeley Jazz.
Looking at where Samohtdang lives, its a stretch, but we do have 2 regulars from east London.
As to laying bricks - any good workshop is supportive, not competitive, and we reckon to be just that, and its great to see a beginner getting into improvisation, even if at the start its very simple stuff.
TonyP

I am really enjoying the workshop its a fantastic place to learn 2hrs of playing every week is really helping me move forward with my playing . I really love jazz and the tunes we learn are from some of the great names in jazz which keeps it very interesting we are practicing for a Christmas concert and I am going to have a go on some of the tunes I feel comfortable with :) . I also have lessons with john seeley and he is a fantastic teacher and such a nice guy I also was having lessons with art lady Lorna who is also a fantastic teacher but I had to get a teacher who comes to me because of work .

Good to hear that you are really enjoying the co-op.
I did ask before if it's possible to give an indication of the level required as although it does say for all levels, that can be unlearned to some of us not so proficient.
Cheers.

From complete beginner to advanced players I only new a few scales when I started and have been dragged up by everyone else and now feel quite confident about the future :) best way is to come and have a go no one gets turned away and all the other guys and girls have helped me every step of the way .

I am really enjoying the workshop its a fantastic place to learn 2hrs of playing every week is really helping me move forward with my playing . I really love jazz and the tunes we learn are from some of the great names in jazz which keeps it very interesting we are practicing for a Christmas concert and I am going to have a go on some of the tunes I feel comfortable with :) . I also have lessons with john seeley and he is a fantastic teacher and such a nice guy I also was having lessons with art lady Lorna who is also a fantastic teacher but I had to get a teacher who comes to me because of work .

Glad to hear you're getting on okay Andy :D you deserve it because you work hard by putting in the hours and the effort - which always pays off :thumb:

saxyman, I joined after seeing andys original post a few months back. We both of a similar level but both give it a crack. I was nervous on my first time there, not knowing what to expect. but everyone was friendly and encouraging! We have the xmas concert in a few week time as well. which seem quiet daunting at the moment, but im sure on the night we will get on just fine!

Thanks for the encouragement, but I have found one much nearer to where I live and I went along last week. Very daunting, out of my comfort zone, but enjoyable. Next session in 2 weeks time.

Just thought I would post a quick update here...... As part of the Co-op we have our Christmas concert this evening. So if there is anyone about leigh on sea this even and would like to attend the concert, please feel free to come along. the concert is free to attend and will be a raffle during the interval.

St Michael and all angels church, 62 Leigh oad, Leigh on Sea, SS9 1LF

I know this is a bit last minute, but hopefully would be nice to get a few extra people in the door!!!

Andy I hope you are ready for tonight....

Just thought I would post a quick update here...... As part of the Co-op we have our Christmas concert this evening. So if there is anyone about leigh on sea this even and would like to attend the concert, please feel free to come along. the concert is free to attend and will be a raffle during the interval.

St Michael and all angels church, 62 Leigh oad, Leigh on Sea, SS9 1LF

I know this is a bit last minute, but hopefully would be nice to get a few extra people in the door!!!

Andy I hope you are ready for tonight....
Yeah I'm ready apart from Christmas clothes I have none so smart casual :) no reindeer jumpers from me ;)

So the day after the Christmas concert me and Daniel survived :) and all went well. I think the last time I was that nervous was when I was dismantling a huge tree years ago but this was far more scary . I messed up a little in the first half on a solo that I did but no one said it was that bad when we stopped for the raffle . After the raffle I used my nervous energy and thought if I'm going down I will go down doing the best I can and I really enjoyed it nothing like a blues scale to steady the nerves and everyone clapped so really pleased . Daniel was fantastic really confident and had some great solos . Just to end I would say anyone near the are of Leigh on sea if your thinking of starting a band this is a great place to start :)

Back
Top Bottom