support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

saxophone is good for your mental health?

Locality
London, Uk
What do you think about this?

as we see playing sexophone as a form of mindful escapism, a way to create space between an individual and their busy mind. sexophone-playing is beneficial to your overall well-being and mental health in other ways, too, including helping you develop a greater sense of personal achievement.

I agree totally, except for when playing isn't going well :)

It can definitely lift my mood if I play when I'm down.

Jx

I would say, yes, unless you are forced by a parent or teacher. However, any activity that one enjoys and would like to be good at will be good for your mental well-being: sport, marksmanship, computer programming, math...
Cooking, knitting, chess, cooking, bike riding, cooking...

Last edited by a moderator:
Right now this sax of mine has the most wonderful tone, but just won't play in tune due to an intonation problem...good for my mental health? It's driving me crazy!!!

I would say, yes, unless you are forced by a parent or teacher. However, any activity that one enjoys and would like to be good at will be good for your mental well-being: sport, marksmanship, computer programming, math...
Cooking, knitting, chess, cooking, bike riding, cooking...
Are you hungry per chance?

Im a retired psychologist turned mouthpiece maker. My view is that, "It depends". For some it can be a form of escape, a pleasant diversion and endeavor into something creative. For others it can also literally be a form of torture in between periods of euphoria...almost bipolar (and a lot of artists are). If you are driven to excell there are many times artists will destroy their work in fits of rage, destroy their personal lives etc.

So it depends on the person and that persons level of engagement. It is not always a healthy walk through the park.

Im a retired psychologist turned mouthpiece maker. My view is that, "It depends". For some it can be a form of escape, a pleasant diversion and endeavor into something creative. For others it can also literally be a form of torture in between periods of euphoria...almost bipolar (and a lot of artists are). If you are driven to excell there are many times artists will destroy their work in fits of rage, destroy their personal lives etc.

So it depends on the person and that persons level of engagement. It is not always a healthy walk through the park.
Couldn’t agree more

Randulo, I certainly agree that its a good idea to engage in playing an instrument. Overall it dones great things for the brain as well as experience. However, as I said, sometimes it invites a lot of pain along with that pleasure. There are no absolutes.

I know I've already said it here, but as a kid, I was taking clarinet lessons. I couldn't get it to stop squeaking, and at one point broke the licorice stick in half over the bannister. My parents were nice about it and they had it glued back together.

I know I've already said it here, but as a kid, I was taking clarinet lessons. I couldn't get it to stop squeaking, and at one point broke the licorice stick in half over the bannister. My parents were nice about it and they had it glued back together.
"..and now, specially for you Randy, here is that clarinet.."