support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophone Day at Band on the Wall

Gavin Sharp

Locality
Manchester
Hi All - I am the CEO at Inner City Music Ltd, the charity that owns Band on the Wall in Manchester. Pete has been very kindly supporting our education activity over the last few years and, when we last met, we thought it might be a great idea to hold a Saxophone Day at the venue. We could invite sax players to come and do workshops and master-classes and traders to show their products etc. What does everyone think of this idea? Just thought it would be great to get as many of the Forum members together to meet each other and talk horns! Let me know what you think and, of course, have a great Christmas!
If you don't know the venue, we are in Manchester and have a hugely varied and eclectic music programme - go to www.bandonthewall.org for more info.
Best
Gavin

Play days are great fun and the more the merrier I say. Many moons ago I went to a CASS weekend at Hartley Hall Manchester and had a great time. Good luck with the project.

Jim.

I would be up for an event like this, and its only up the Lancs :thumb:

If I'm allowed over the border and can get all the relevant jabs you can count me in.

Hi Gavin! many thanks for dropping by the cafe.

This was something I suggested many many years ago (see the forum archives). The Real Life Breakfast Room.

It never happened at the time, partly due to me not having the time/skill to organise such an event, but it looks like it really could happen now that Gavin is behind the idea. Band on the Wall is an ideal venue for this.

Various things were planned:
  • Masterclasses
  • Saxophone and accessories on exhibit from one or two distributors/retailers,
  • Saxophone repair/maintenance workshops
  • Jam sessions
  • Blind listening tests (e.g. cheap Chinese vs MKVI)
  • Performances and
  • .....refreshments.
Any other ideas welcome. There are plenty of local hotels/hostels/workhouses

Even though I have only been playing for a year or so off and on I think it is a great idea. Count me in.
George

Sounds good to me - either train or an hours drive....

Great! I use to arrange 1-2 Rock & Roll Saxophone Workshops each year. First started in fall 2004. Not a big thing over here but I'll continue as long as I can. I would love to do a trip to Manchester. When?

Thomas

Yep
Not far from Halifax, years ago I used to go to the B&H single reed festival at the music college that was good fun too.
Clive

Any updates on this day Gavin ? When or if it's likely to go ahead ?

Hi All
Sorry I have not been back on for a while, but as I only got one notification through my emails I thought it had not generated a lot of interest. Anyway, Pete has given me a nudge and sent through some ideas, so watch this space and we will look to get something moving.
Best
Gavin

just make sure it doesn't clash with the Saxophone Day they have at the RNCM every autumn

just make sure it doesn't clash with the Saxophone Day they have at the RNCM every autumn

Will be attending that day this year, missed last year which is normally around November time

cafe symposium
I'm up for a cafe meet/gathering (now i know what symposium means :confused:) :thumb: the MaSLM meets are a great get together and informative.:)
I know it would be best to have a symposium (;)) around the Midlands area as a central designation but how about arranging a gathering of the clan at 'Band on the Wall' a Cafesaxophone benefit night., could even arrange a southern benefit night at a similar club ?
I know it could be a mare to arrange but if enough notice is given members could arrange hol/break around the benefit nights.

When we have our next MaSLM meet (hopefully January) i will generate interest, looking at the number of members who expressed an interest at the time and giving plenty of notice this should be a goer next year :)
I also think once you get a bit of interest a definitive date needs to be announced so members could start to make arrangements.

Bump.....

We have been discussing the possibility of a sax day to happen next year, i'm willing to help out anyway i can and i'm sure we have a few other members who would put themselves forward to help out. A few of the members who showed interest a few years ago are still active, so let's make this happen folks :)

Back
Top Bottom