support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophone catastrophes

U CAN CALL ME AL

Café Supporter
Locality
Undy Monmouthshire U.K.
Spawned by a current thread. Are you prepared to admit?

I had one major mishap - rushing to answer the front door during a practice session I placed my Bari on its stand, turned and as I walked away dragged it to the floor. I was still attached by a pre-amp in my pocket and a lead to the sax mic. Cost £220 to get the pigtail sorted. not to be repeated I now have a wireless mic!

I have witnessed the classic forgot to shut the clasps and a Tenor tumbled out of the case resulting in a rather funny shaped bell. also a rather nasty neck pull down on an alto trying to force on a mouthpiece to a newly fitted cork. But I will tell no tales.

I've owned up. Now you if you dare no matter how big or small - it may not have been your fault but a funny thing happened on the way to the forum!

I once got careless placing an alto on the stand. The stand tipped over and the horn struck a desk, putting a small dent in the neck. It played fine, but it was a constant reminder of my carelessness.

@GCinCT thanks for being first to own up. I think most of us will have these dings that remind us I only I hadn't ........
Al

I felt sick when I did this

Jx

My adorable 4 legged kids were playing hooligans and knocked my soprano off its stand. $150 repair

Then I got it fixed and knocked some keys out of place by not putting it in its case properly.

Then one night I got somewhat drunk on wine at my parents house and was dancing while playing and fell face first..

OUCH! I had the biggest bruises on my legs and arms than I’ve had since I got hit by a car years ago and of course didn’t do my saxophone much good either.

Meanwhile I’ve had a 1952 saxophone that I’ve cared for since 1973 and I’ve never done anything to harm it in all those years.

On my curved-neck soprano, the curved design leaves the neck octave spring somewhat exposed. It's really easy to knock out of its alignment groove. I've probably done it half a dozen times, either when putting on or removing the mouthpiece or putting it down somewhere in a hurry or even putting it in its case. At first I had no idea what was wrong with my high notes but now I know a lot more about the octave mech than I ever wanted to know.

Other than that, I knocked and chipped my favourite reed while nervous in the music shop, trying out my soon-to-be new sop.

I've had a few close calls with neckstraps that concern me it's only a matter of time before a full on disaster occurs.

I felt sick when I did this

Jx
@Jeanette I had similar feelings when I trashed the bari

@SaxyNikki You sure seem to have an eventful sax life :cat:

@CliveMA Repeating the same mistake, now there’s an admission. Stay clear of major disasters they give you an awful feeling in in the pit of your stomach.

In these Covid-19 times always look after your best friend. It‘s going to be difficult to mend him/her.

The doorbell is the enemy! >:)

I also damaged my sweet silver plate YAS-23S rushing to answer the door. LowC# key and guard took the hit and it kept a small ding on the bow... Nothing I couldn't fix. But right there and then I was not very proud!

As for my bari, I get nervous everytime my youngest boy gets near it. I have a stool next to it and he loved to swing on it with his feet off the floor! :eek:

Which reminds me that I need to find a stand that can be both wall mounted and resting on a shelf.

I have a perfect spot that woul leave it at a very comfortable height to pick it up without risks for my back or the horn...

Worst I've done is singeing a cork while heating a pad I needed to adjust. Had to replace the cork as well.

@saxyjt Couldn’t agree more about the doorbell, take care of the bari nail his feet to the floor!
@kevgermany that is definitely not a catastrophe go to the back of the class
@Phil agrred maybe that’s why baris get so beaten up.

regards Al

@Jeanette I had similar feelings when I trashed the bari

Didn't know you could lift a bari .

@SaxyNikki You sure seem to have an eventful sax life :cat:
Yes well. Last year was ‘extra’ special. Trying to get my senile alcoholic parents the care they needed while they were still driving CERTAINLY WAS eventful. I’m not normally a ‘drinker’ but I was that day.

Anyway they now have the care they need so it was all worth it in the end.

Plus I then had an entire nursing home to play to and they loved it. :)

@SaxyNikki I’ve had a parent in a care home too so I know the scenario. I’ve also played in a band in a home and it’s amazing how they might not know relatives their names or what day of the week it is but they’ll sing along like a trouper. They probably know the lyrics better than I do.!

My Mum, at 93, is in a Nursing home, too. Mum doesn't play the sax but she would try to accompany any singing on the piano. My Mum originally bought me a 1949 Selmer Alto sax which I kept in the cupboard, avoiding catastrophes all these years since 1975. That itself, of course, was a catastrophe!

Last edited:
My Mum, at 93, is in a Nursing home, too. Mum doesn't play the sax but she would try to accompany any singing on the piano. My Mum originally bought me a 1949 Selmer Alto sax which I kept in the cupboard, avoiding catastrophes all these years since 1975. That itself, of course, was a catastrophe!
Oh yes. My dad will be 91 this year and my mom is now 86. My father can harmonize with anything while my mom is completely tone deaf. When I was last there playing Christmas carols my dad had them all singing along. It was actually very touching.

My parents bought my first saxophone which was a 1952 SML and I still have it. We must all be close in age. THAT being ‘old.’ Lol

As for my bari, I get nervous everytime my youngest boy gets near it. I have a stool next to it and he loved to swing on it with his feet off the floor! :eek:

Which reminds me that I need to find a stand that can be both wall mounted and resting on a shelf.
Did a quick search and found only these for baritone:
Wall-mounted stands for saxophone
I wouldn't put a baritone on a wall-mount myself. But I guess in some instance that might be a good option.
Use long screws to fix it to the wall!

A few weeks age I was trying to get a box down from a high shelf that I could only just reach.
The box fell and hit my music stand which then fell over and made a small dent in my nice new bari sax.
It's purely cosmetic, but it irritates me.

Back
Top Bottom