SYOS

Saxophone bath?

Azzimuth

Hi, This is my first post on this forum. I have just brought a secondhand Earlham alto sax (12yr old EAS 310 mk2), which has been well used.
The gold Lacquer has corroded in places showing red patches and spot. There are also signs of corrosion around tone holes and some joints. The pads are a little sticky aswell so i wondered if it is possible to submerge the whole thiing in a bath of detergent or similar to remove any build up of grime? I have read elsewhere that lighter fluid is the best way to clean pads to stop them sticking or will powder sheets be best?

I'm really pleased to have my saxophone, with or without the gold lacquer! but would like to give it a bit of maintenace and just get on with learning to play it. Can anyone help?

Thank You,
Steve

jonf

Hi Steve, and welcome.

No. don't bath your sax. Cleaning the pads with lighter fluid is the best bet. About the body, if it's just grubby, wipe clean with a soft cloth. A bit of cotton will do. Don't use a duster or you'll get yellow fluff everywhere. If it's really gungy, a bit of luke-warm water with a very small amount of a mild soap might help, but try not to get it all over the pads and springs. Careful local application is the key.

Corrosion marks are just par for the course with a sax. The good news is that it doesn't tend to affect playing.

If you want to learn about maintenance, then you can do no better than buying Stephen Howard's excellent Haynes Saxophone Manual.

Jon

OP
A

Azzimuth

Thanks Jon, I'll steer clear of bathing then! I've ordered Stephen's Sax manual, I've read so many posts about it i thought it would be a good investment.

I've found a few numbers for local teachers so I'll just concentrate on learning for now, and i guess I can always ask the teacher for their views on any repairs before I leap into anything to serious.

And as for putting a sax in the dishwasher.....what program did they use?? ;}

Steve

Top Bottom