All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Accessories Saxholder Pro opinion

Ballymenaboy

Subscriber
Locality
Ballymena.Co.Antrim
Just recently bought one the Jazzlab Saxholder Pro gizmos - bought this mainly due to degenarative disc problems and so far I am well pleased with it.Whilst it does not remove back pain it has certainly enabled me to stand playing for longer before admitting defeat or reaching for the Solpadene tablets. I have found this a much better product than the sound deflector which partly replaced my nearest wall to which I have now returned.

OldNotGrey

Locality
Surrey, UK
I have found this a much better product than the sound deflector
I stand confused, but it is that time of the day..... I fail to see the connection between the Saxholder and the Sound Deflector or was their not intended to be any connection? I've not used the Jazzlab Saxholder but found the Sound Deflector a useful aid in loud settings.

OP
B

Ballymenaboy

Subscriber
Locality
Ballymena.Co.Antrim
The connection is that they are manufactured by the same company but, in my opinion, are vastly differing in their usefulness - as always these things are subjective.

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Locality
France
I like all the Jazzlab products I've used.

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
Locality
Minster On Sea
To go with the 20+ straps I already possess I got one of these the other day.
Curiosity as much as anything else but I'm not getting any younger and I thought it might help to postpone any potential neck problems.
I've only really tried it on baritone but it seems to work fine (once I'd bent the relevant bits to a suitable shape). It should improve my posture since, if I slouch at all when seated, then it gradually slips off my shoulders. :( Not an issue when standing, of course. I'll give it a go at my next bari gig.
I like the locking strap adjuster.

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
Locality
Bristol, UK
I’ve been using a Saxholder pro for bari and tenor. It is excellent when I play standing, but when I am sitting it tends to rub against the side of my neck, and it gets uncomfortable in the long run.

Vetinari

Subscriber
Locality
East Manchester
Shoulder pads are very narrow and dig in to my shoulders and the bars dig into my collar bone. I am quite slim in those areas. I also find that my baritone pulls the saxholder to my right thus needing frequent adjustment.

OP
B

Ballymenaboy

Subscriber
Locality
Ballymena.Co.Antrim
I have been using this item for some time for playing tenor.originally bought to assist with degenerative disc issues and find it works well for me and enables playing for longer time.it does shift position a but but for me it is a trade off and i would not go back to a neck strap.

Mark Hancock

Subscriber
Locality
Zurich
I got sax holder pro a couple of weeks ago because I broke my collarbone. It works a treat because it doesn't but any pressure on the front of the shoulders at all. In fact it doesn't even touch the collarbone.

It seems to help my posture when standing and holding the saxophone directly to the front. I found that if the saxophone is held to the side, the weight distribution becomes weirdly asymmetric. This can be fixed by just moving the part that rests on the belly to the right.

Mark Hancock

Subscriber
Locality
Zurich
I’ve been using a Saxholder pro for bari and tenor. It is excellent when I play standing, but when I am sitting it tends to rub against the side of my neck, and it gets uncomfortable in the long run.
Try moving the part that rests on your stomach to the right. It might improve it a bit. (when sitting)

Tony K

Locality
KENT, UK
I really like the Saxholder. I have the earlier version, not the Pro one. I've suffered from neck issues for many years and the conventional strap is just painful. I can use the Saxholder (usually standing) without getting any problems. I also occasionally the use the Balam Backstrap because it fits in my case easier but I prefer the Saxholder.

Last edited:

nigeld

Subscriber
Locality
Bristol, UK
Try moving the part that rests on your stomach to the right. It might improve it a bit. (when sitting)
I have done that, but it still becomes uncomfortable after a while if I use it sitting down for my bari. A harness works better for me.

wildhenry

I love the Saxholder.....it works great on the baritone and tenor although just one minor issue....with the bari it pulls to the right a little and needs ajusting a fair bit, because the tenor can be played more vertically this doesn't happen!
Over all I reckon it's a great invention and saves a hell of a lot of neck and back fatigue/pain.

OP
B

Ballymenaboy

Subscriber
Locality
Ballymena.Co.Antrim
I have been using one for some time now mainly due to disc problems and have found it first class..could not go back to a standard type strap..well worth the money in my opinion

Alexandra

Subscriber
Locality
London, Greater London
Is there a significant improvement with the Pro model over the original? I've got the early model, but had to stop using it because the pad caused too much abdominal pressure for me (I have related health issues there), but I could feel it's merits even so!
I now use a Balam leather strap which is a similar concept, though doesn't quite achieve the 'weightless sax' feeling.

nigeld

Subscriber
Locality
Bristol, UK
Is there a significant improvement with the Pro model over the original? I've got the early model, but had to stop using it because the pad caused too much abdominal pressure for me (I have related health issues there), but I could feel it's merits even so!
I now use a Balam leather strap which is a similar concept, though doesn't quite achieve the 'weightless sax' feeling.
I think the Pro model is a significant improvement because the arms lock, so it doesn't slip like the original model tended to do. But I don't think there will be any less abdominal pressure.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter
Locality
McLean, Virginia
Is there a significant improvement with the Pro model over the original? I've got the early model, but had to stop using it because the pad caused too much abdominal pressure for me
The abdominal thing works on the same principle, except that its profile is more vertical rather than horizontal.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom
test6