support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxes in the orchestra?

Lodger

At the weekend I went to an opera given by Opera North -"Werther" by Massenet. We had a good view of the orchestra and I was very pleasantly surprised to see a tenor sax seated next to the clarinets.

He mostly played with some of the other wind, adding colour I suppose, but he had a beautiful, soulful solo accompaniment to a lovely duet.

I hadn't realised that Massenet, and no doubt other composers of that period, used the sax in their orchestras, but I shall certainly look out for them in the future.

OP
Lodger

Lodger

Thanks Nick

I had a peep at your WCO website and it looks a fun group. Nine saxes in an orchestra of 23 is a better proportion than the average symphony orchestra! It just shows that enjoyable music can be made with such a wide variety of instrument groups and types of music.

If I lived about 200 miles nearer I would apply for membership!

Nick Cook

Hi Howard, it is fun - and not too serious, so Thursday nights are very enjoyable.

I think those figures are bit out of date now - there are probably well over 30 of us now (still a good proportion of saxes!!)

We are all in the back row and when the conductor is going over certain parts of the pieces we're currently learning, we have to be quiet so she can actually hear the violins, flutes, clarinets, etc.!!!!

Top Bottom