All profit supporting   special needs music

Saxophones Saxes coming up shortly

Melissa

Locality
Northamptonshire UK
Hi Folks,

I thought I would share with the cafe members that I have just been made aware of a collection of instruments coming up for sale, many shall be coming through me, but I thought I would share with you and hopefully receive some information as to the proper current values of some. And if any one here is likely to show some interest, I can do the deal so as to put them up in the yard sale.... So with this in mind, there shall be the following:

Buescher 400 Super -next to the top hat and cane, in two tone, very good original condition and in playing order, underslung neck and so forth

Selmer Mk VI 5 digit alto, good original condition and playing
Selmer MkVII Tenor sax, series II, again, in good original condition.
Selmer SBA 80 Tenor as above
Hawkes Bass sax, only goes to low B, not high pitch but not quite low pitch- more to come on this.
Ophicleide ;)
Repro Serpent.

Photos yet to come within the next couple of weeks.

This is a handful that are coming up, I am unsure of what prices these shall attain, think big though, or I guess so, there are some very interesting items here alone :)

I welcome your input.
Best wishes
Mel xx

Melissa

Locality
Northamptonshire UK
Did I say something wrong?! :manicure: I would sincerely appreciate your opinons..please?!:hug:
Has anyone played any of the above, yes I can go elsewhere, but ( :thanks3:) it would be nice to discuss them in detail within the Cafe. :gathering:

I have not had the pleasure to play any of the above yet,:verysad are the 5 figure Selmers really more desirable than the later models, is the Buescher akin to the Top hat and Cane?

Thank you so much :D

Ads

Locality
North West UK
There isn`t a MkVII series II as far as I know, people say the earlier ones are better but I`ve not played a late one so don`t know - I prefer the MkVII Tenor to the MkVI or SA80 (Altos are a different story) but then others have said the reverse soooooooo ...... BTW , you mean SA80 , not SBA80 - the SBA was the predecessor to the MkVI but I`m sure you know that .

Other than the questions you`ve just asked, not much to talk about really apart from the rare (and possibly tuning challenged) Hawkes bass , the Ophi and serpent are Brass instruments

the issue with the 400 and selmers is finding people with the cash to pay for them - you can tell times are hard when a superb Kohlert Bari takes the best part of a year to sell for not much over 500 quid, a well regarded Cannonball Big Bell Stone series tenor struggles to fetch £775 and no one has even PM'd me the slightest interest about my superb Elkhart Soprano for £250 .

Unless they`re being given away for "too cheap to pass up" prices, I can`t see a stampede to buy these lovely classic horns, there just doesn`t seem to be the cash about here

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
Sales here have always been sporadic. If you're lucky there's someone looking for what you're selling, otherwise it can take a while.

Cash is certainly tight and a lot of members seem to be favouring modern horns, generally budget to mid range. It's clear from reading the posts that modern mid range horns are good, have good ergos and play in tune. Add in the general comments about intonation and ergos made here for older horns and it seems to be killing the cafe market for older horns, despite the tonal differences.

Some of the items you're going to list are most likely collectors only. This tends to inflate prices beyond affordability and real worth to most of us. I'd love an SBA, but even if I could afford it, I wouldn't pay the prices being asked. And if I had a mark VI, I'd either keep it as an investment, or sell it to a collector so I could buy a better horn at a lower price and free up some cash. It certainly wouldn't get played much.

• Agree
Reactions: Ads

majordennis

Locality
Gone West
I can offer some insight to the MkVII having owned one for about 18 months, well constructed, really nice tone and certainly not the "failure" that seems to be the norm in most reviews. It had great tone, great projection, and IMHO very good looks, the ergos were different but nothing that could not be overcome with a bit of serious "shedding", as a fan of in-line C#/B/Bb you just get used to it. I think I maybe bought it too soon in my saxophone sojourn and was not able to realise it's true potential, a professional aquaintance has had one for 20+ years and coupled with the Lawton mouthpiece would not use anything else. If I had to sum up I would say "A true Selmer at a very good price" but, like most there are good and not so good, if you are shelling out the best part of 2k you need to be sure.

• Agree
Reactions: Ads

ellinas

Locality
Athens, Greece
Modern horns are cool.
But there's nothing like a well cared oldie.

Most people that have vintage saxes except top shelf ones like MKvi's etc keep them in "playing condition" and don't do expensive overhauls.

So people that play them get the wrong impression.

My beaugniers after complete overhauls from a top tech can "kill" most modern hornsin ergos, tone and intonation.

Those MKVIIs are tempting.......hmmmm............................................

milandro

Locality
the Netherlands
Mark VII altos are sought after, while the tenors not so much.

I have had three of the VII tenors and they all played very well. One was also equipped with an extra P.Mauriat Magnum neck . Typically a VII tenor, overhauled, sells for 2000€. My first one took 2 years to sell and sold to an Amsterdam conservatory student.

Arno Bornkamp, teacher there, plays a VII tenor and many of his students do that too.

Mark VI need no comments, they are great and have a great following.

Selmer SA80 II sell, altos 1600-1800€ and tenors around 1800-2000€. Many try to sell them for more but they have them on offer forever. They are plentiful.

majordennis

Locality
Gone West
My beaugniers after complete overhauls from a top tech can "kill" most modern hornsin ergos, tone and intonation.

Beaugniers are probably one of the most underated horns around, I have 2, a tenor which I am selling at the moment and an Vito Beaugnier alto which plays really sweet. I think anyone who has read my posts know my affection for these beauties.

Just watched the video Milandro, don't know what the mouthpiece was but no trick ligature, shows the flexibility and quality of the instrument nicely.

Last edited:

Melissa

Locality
Northamptonshire UK
No you didn't say anything wrong:)

It's just a bit quiet at the moment on here, I think its the heat

Jx

Guess so J, I think I am the only one suffering and hiding away from it lol xxxx

Thank you everyone else for your comments so far, I must admit, I would like to try them all, I cannot help it, I have this insatiable urge, no idea what it is, I still do not know whether I have met my one and only horn as of yet, love them all, well almost, amazing that so many can look almost identical and sound so incredibly different, yet sound wonderful together!

I shall keep everyone updated, add photos when they come along, as far as I am aware, the collection cannot be purchased as a whole, each individual item has to go to a loving home, I believe a mortgage rate was mentioned on one of the MkVI's, and does sound a lot to me.

I mentioned the serpie and the ophi as I know there are some of you may be interested in such lovely oldies :) xx

thomsax

Locality
Sweden
Nice collection of saxes. I'm sure there will lots of players interesting in buying.

For 20 years ago I looked at saxes like this. But that not the case any more. I still love my Martin saxes, but most of the time I'm playing a YTS-25. Easy to own, less money to buy and a decent player. I never get paid when I play the saxophone, infact it's the opposite, I always put some money in the jar at our jams.

When I look at saxes it's more cheap and odd saxes that catch my interest. Right now I'm trying to make a Dörfler & Jörka stencil to a good player?. I bought it for less money (c £ 170.00) and I'll put on Buescher "snap-on" pads (with metal back). And I'll make oversize stainless R with screws on back! Maybe a useless project?

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
Looking forward to see some pictures.

Ophy is actually a sort of half way beast. Like a bari with a bone mouthpiece. Quite exciting

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire
Looking forward to see some pictures.

Ophy is actually a sort of half way beast. Like a bari with a bone mouthpiece. Quite exciting
Looks like it was made for TomMapFumo the sax playing flugel man

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom