All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Saxophones Saxello choices

raddy

My son has seen a saxello - he did want a soprano - butnow he wants a saxello.

So, the ineviteble - which one.?

I have been scouring the web and think I have narrowed it down to either a Rampone & cazzani R1 or a Mauriat PMSS-601.

Now, I wonder if thereis any advice regarding these 2 and/or
am I barking uo the wrong tree and should be looking elsewhere - thay are both quite (very!) pricey and I just, like everyone I suppose, want to get the best for the money

So, all, or any, advice gratefully welcomed

Last edited:

Nick Wyver

noisy
Café Supporter
Locality
Minster On Sea
Why does he want a saxello? They're just the same as a normal sop, only bent a bit. Are they cool now, or something?

raddy

Why does he want a saxello? They're just the same as a normal sop, only bent a bit. Are they cool now, or something?
Hi Nick

I'm not a musician, but I think he muttered something about sound projection and the "look" - so maybe to my son they are cool. Personally I can just about tell one end of the instrument from another , oh and I can spot a duff note, so in that respect the whole discussion of "this-or -that" instrument is a complete mystery

Nick Wyver

noisy
Café Supporter
Locality
Minster On Sea
If it's the look then you're stuffed. I don't think there are any cheap ones (my information may be out of date). If it's projection (whatever that is) then you could try suggesting a curved sop. There are plenty of those about.

raddy

Yeah! I think I am stuffed. Maybe if I ignore him the idea will go away :)

Anyhow, assuming it doesn't - I am thinking the R&C might have more residual value than the Mauriat - yet the cost is significantly greater.

That said, and assuming I have to proceed, I really need some pointers so I don't make an expensive mistake even more so, whilst getting something that's going to the best job.

Why couldn't he stick with the penny whistle :)

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
You can get cheap ones. Just go to eBay and search for saxello. Starts around 300. No idea if they're any good or not.

cherrybyte

Locality
Dulverton, Exmoor, West Somerset
Bit off subject..are you the 'kevgermany' that posts on the Guzzi forum..??

raddy

No, I'm the raddy - so you can't collect your £50

Does anybody have anything to add apart from asking me why I want to buy a saxello, telling me I can buy cheap saxes on ebay which may or may not be any good, and asking me if I am someone else?

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
No, someone started using the same name a couple of years after I did, can't copyright it I'm afraid. I've ridden a couple of guzzis, but preferred the Laverdas, of which I've had two.

Pyrografix

Senile Member
Locality
Sunny Aberdeenshire
Does anybody have anything to add apart from asking me why I want to buy a saxello, telling me I can buy cheap saxes on ebay which may or may not be any good, and asking me if I am someone else?

Not many people on here play saxello that I know of, so you might not get an opinion on the models you're asking about. Straight sops are more readily available and sound just the same. My saxello is a Hanson (ebay purchase a couple of years ago). I love it (as much as I can love any soprano sax). @griff136 currently has it in for a service - not sure of his opinion of this model, but I might get an update when he's finished it! The only draw-back I've found with this instrument is finding a stand for it - conventional sop stands aren't suitable.

Hope your son enjoys whatever you buy.

kernewegor

Bon vivant, raconteur and twit
Locality
cocks hill perranporth KERNOW

Yes.

Keep calm - and look before you leap.

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
St. Mary's
That said, and assuming I have to proceed, I really need some pointers so I don't make an expensive mistake even more so, whilst getting something that's going to the best job.

They are both very good horns, I think it would depend on whether he wants something with more resistance and possibly darker sound, in which case I'd recommend the R & C , or something freer playing, light and maybe brighter sound, ie the Mauriat. But it's impossible to say which is better.

Targa

Among the pigeons
Café Supporter
Locality
KIC 8462852

Yes, just be a good father and pander to you child's whims, it's only money.

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire
I think saxellos look cool

I understand the 'need' to get one and I'd use the projection excuse if it increased the chance of getting one

I think you're right raddy about residual value if your son gets into playing sax in a big way it's likely to be a keepsake unless he needs to pawn it for drugs or to pay off his student loan, should the occasion arise

griff136

Locality
I live in Exmouth Devon.
Reddy - both the Rampone and the Mauriat "saxello's" as Pete mentioned are good horns. There are other brands including Hanson which you may want to consider if you are on a budget. I have a forum member's (Pyrografix) saxello in the workshop as we speak. - not a bad horn for the price point, plays relatively in tune, feels nice under the fingers. Hanson's also have a great warranty programme including servicing. They're based oop North somewhere.

Pyrografix - your saxello will be in the post this weekend, and the stand that fits the saxello is one made by Hercules - I'll find out the model number for you today.

Oh and just to be pedantic - these "saxellos" aren't real saxellos. They're really tipped bell sopranos.
here are some pics:

tipped bell sop.jpg tipped bell beuscher

and here's a link to a King Saxello by HN White - the same instrument that is in my avatar. Note that the bell is at right angles to the body tube.
http://www.dg-music.co.uk/instrumen...rosted-silver-plate-with-gold-plated-key-work

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
St. Mary's

cherrybyte was actually asking kevgermany, not you.

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
St. Mary's
You can get cheap ones. Just go to eBay and search for saxello. Starts around 300. No idea if they're any good or not.

I think some may well be. I tried a few cheap Asian tipped bell sopranos at Frankfurt and a couple were quite good. I wouldn't know what they are or how they are branded. @milandro may be able to help.

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom