support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Are all tenors the same size and basic dimensions?

allansto

Locality
Frankston Victoria Australia
I`m reinventing the wheel
I have a new design for a nice strong sax stand that colapses down for transport purposes.
My question is related to tenor saxophones at the moment.

Are they all the same size ,lenght?
Do they vary in shape ,bell size etc?
Do all bells point to the right a little as does my yammy.?
Do all bells curve out to the front at the same angle?

Basically if I make a stand to fit one tenor will they all fit?

Regards
Allansto:confused:

My Konig & Meyer Tenor sax stand has two rubber contact points, and the top one nearest the bell has an adjustable rubber that which
copes with bells of different circumferences -useful as my my tenor sax has a larger bell.

From observation, whether the sax varies in size, shape, angle and so on does not seem that important if at all to this particular stand. I do not know whether other stands are the same. Similarly with trumpet and trombone stands in my experience.

Surely bell size can vary, old Conn, R&C and a few more brands have larger bore and bell.
Anyway, I think that shouldn't be a problem, most stands work for both alto and tenors.

I don't think it's an issue otherwise when you bought a stand you would be asked as to what make of sax it was for.

Surely bell size can vary, old Conn, R&C and a few more brands have larger bore and bell.
Anyway, I think that shouldn't be a problem, most stands work for both alto and tenors.

Hence why I said that bells can come with different circumferences, such as my System 54 which comes in "Regular Bell" and "Power Bell". Apologies if that wasn't clear. Hence why stands can have a flexible rubber rest that can be narrowed or widened appropriately.

Kind regards
Tom

But if all saxophones are essentially conically shaped, then a tenor stand designed to take a smaller bell will take the any bell nearer or further away from the end of the bell, I guess.
If you see what I mean?

But if all saxophones are essentially conically shaped, then a tenor stand designed to take a smaller bell will take the any bell nearer or further away from the end of the bell, I guess.
If you see what I mean?

Absolutely Mandy, spoken like an engineer. Good to see someone thinking logicically.. :) >:)

Absolutely Mandy, spoken like an engineer. Good to see someone thinking logicically.. :) >:)

Woman + Logic = Danger :shocked::w00t:;}

Or so my old maths teacher used to say................

Or as Martin L would say: "...woman plus logicic equals spelling mistake...." :thumb:

If you see what I mean?

Within the parameters set by the relative sizes, and it might not hold it in a position that is going to hold the cone securely, given that it turns a sharp corner.

Woman + Logic = Danger :shocked::w00t:;}

:thumb:

'Ere watch it! :shocked:
I can't help myself - I never was a girly girl, far more interested in how things work, taking them apart, putting them back together... :))) :welldone

Don't agree - the taper on the bell is so slight, until you get to the flare, that it doesn't work. I had to adjust my tenor stand to fit my sax when I got it.

Any chance of seeing a photo of the stand once it is completed?

JB Im having trouble figuring out how to do that . Regards Allansto . can anyone help?

Any chance of seeing a photo of the stand once it is completed?

JB Im having trouble figuring out how to do that . Regards Allansto . can anyone help?

Well, you probably need a digital camera....

On a more serious side, I agree with Kev: my SML alto does not work on the K&M "saxxy" due to the uncommon bell flare.
The K&M "jazz" is the ultimate rubbish: totally useless due to the fact that 2/3 of my tenor saxophones spin unpredictably when not watched. Sadly true. I couldn't work out a fix, neither could K&M customer service.

I think there is one other factor that (hopefully) you've already considered. There is a second point below at which the sax has to sit/rest. Don't forget to put this at a point that will not interfere with most key guards, or as with other stands have multiple points for adjustment and make it usable for other sizes (alto and curvy sop).

Well, you probably need a digital camera....

On a more serious side, I agree with Kev: my SML alto does not work on the K&M "saxxy" due to the uncommon bell flare.
The K&M "jazz" is the ultimate rubbish: totally useless due to the fact that 2/3 of my tenor saxophones spin unpredictably when not watched. Sadly true. I couldn't work out a fix, neither could K&M customer service.

Ive just had a look at the k&m via internet and I can see why you would have that problem
My stand currently made to fit a tenor will ultimately fit an alto too and I will be custom fitting them to fit different saxes
When I figure out how to post a photo I will show you one. they will probably be a little more pricey than the fully colapsible units but will cradle your sax more snuggly and are a much stronger robust design.

Regards
Allansto.

If you look at Hercules stands they have introduced new stands where the top arms close together as you put the sax onto the stand I believe they push on a lever as you put the sax in and it closes the arms together to grip the sax a great idea I thought,maybe its patented .....John

Re: Sheet music and mp3 downloads

I have Hercules wall hangers for guitars. They have an arm on each side. The arms are vertical until the weight of the headstock is placed upon them, when the arms move in to the horizontal position and hold the guitar securely. I suppose their sax stands work on a similar basis. Oh, and the guitar hangers are patented.

Back
Top Bottom