support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Brass sax shaped double belled trumpet

chadders

Locality
Wrexham.
A friend of mine has just found one of these in her parents attic .

http://www.horncollector.com/Trumpets/Sax%20Shaped%20Trumpets/Miraphone%20Double%20Belled%20Trumpet.htm

Anyone ever seen/heard one before? Its a new one on me but I think it looks absolutely stunning !!!

chad

Last edited:
That's quite amazing, I love the big key over the bell.

From the look of it the forth valve will let you select which bell to use - either open or semi muted, (presumably played with a thumb from either hand?) , with the big key on a lever to close the bell off to make a more muted sound - It looks really awkward to hold but is after all visually stunning.

On the one my friend has found, all the valves have seized but with a bit of tlc I'm sure it could soon be in working order.

Chad

I agree, i think it for the session players who have to sit around for a long time between blows. Cappucino machine ever ready.

Looks suspiciously like an integrated bong/ashtray/lighter affair to me, under the guise of a musical instrument designed to usurp the US Federal Drug Paraphernalia Statute. The three trumpet-like valves can dispense carefully measured doses of one's chosen narcotic, whereas the backward facing valve is the Zippo ignition button.

When rumbled by the Feds, the owner simply reels off quick a few bars of the Star Spangled Banner on his musical bong, thus rendering the unsuspecting DEA agents into an involuntary rigid attention position, at which point one can scarper.

Or something like that.

Cheers, Howard

Andy Taylor of Custom Trumpet fame in Norwich produced a Flugelhorn in the shape of an Alto Sax - was for sale on eBay about three years ago. He may have got the idea from the one you have brought to our attention above. I would imgine that the 4th valve allows you to switch between the two different bells, one of which seems to have a built in cup/Harmon mute

Looks fun.......:w00t:
Tom:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Curious indeed.
I imagine the valve underneath unleashes the second horn, which with its adornments harmonises with the first?

If only Roland Kirk had one of these.............

A friend of mine has just found one of these in her parents attic .

http://www.horncollector.com/Trumpets/Sax%20Shaped%20Trumpets/Miraphone%20Double%20Belled%20Trumpet.htm

Anyone ever seen/heard one before? Its a new one on me but I think it looks absolutely stunning !!!

chad

Would it be possible for me to get in touch with your friend, to see if anything could be added to my webpage at www.jazzophon.com?

thanks a lot!
ger

I imagine these are worth a tall stack of money. I know for sure that bugles outfitted with saxophone style pad cup s a very expensive and rare.

My band director who is a brass player was not that pleased to see a brass invention that mimicked us... haha

Amazing horn Chad....and Ger, sorry I don't read German, could you fill us in a bit!
PS Welcome to the forum!

Wonder how much sound come out of it!

Ciao
Jimu:mrcool

Gday Ger,
Ignore what I said about German....apparently it's in Dutch and I was able to translate it via the google translate option..

Still very interesting trumpet.

Ciao
Jimu

I imagine these are worth a tall stack of money. I know for sure that bugles outfitted with saxophone style pad cup s a very expensive and rare.

My band director who is a brass player was not that pleased to see a brass invention that mimicked us... haha

Puts on Pedant's Hat and Anorak to explain that this is not a member of the Flugelhorn / Bugle family but is a trumpet.

The lead tube goes to the third valve and the bore is parallel until it starts to flare after it exits the final valve.

I really must get a life.

Hey,
Could you possibly ask your friend if they would be interested in selling and how much if so? If not I understand as it seems excruciatingly rare, but would they also know any place I might be able to find one? Many thanks!

Hey,
Could you possibly ask your friend if they would be interested in selling and how much if so? If not I understand as it seems excruciatingly rare, but would they also know any place I might be able to find one? Many thanks!

Ill make you one if you provide the donor horn and parts.

Hi Griff!

What would it cost to do the above? I really loved the Alto sax design that Andy Taylor made with a Flugelhorn. I have a trumpet I'd be keen to convert to a one bell option - also have parts from a cornet which could be used for a double-belled option, so do let me know - PM or otherwise.

Kind regards
Tom

Flugel based jazzophone on following page http://www.taylortrumpets.com/customshop-nextgeneration.html

Tom, I dont suppose you'll get much change from £350

Hi Griff!

I may well be interested, but more in the Alto sax version. Could you do some rough drawings and I'll let you know what I think!
Kind regards

Tom

Back
Top Bottom