All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Sax quartet .. First practice

Jazzaferri

Whew just finished first sax quartet rehearsal. Made it through although some of the notey bits were beyond my sight reading skills at full speed. I suspect that is going to change over the next few months ACkkkk

Innocence by Keith Jarrett, Groove Merchant by Jerome Richardson, Quartet no. 5 by J.C. Bach and Nuages by F??? Bozza... Along with a Schubert piece that is taken from a symphony

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Interesting mix. Sounds like it'll be fun. Pity they didn't send you the scores beforehand. Didn't realise you were a classicist, for some reason I thought it was rock and jazz for you.

Jazzaferri

Kev i havent played orchestral music on sax since 1965. Have been playing jazz and gypsy jazz and some bluesy stuff over the past several years.

I didnt fluff up too many times in the fast notey bits and managed to keep my intonation and keep reading. My fingers though couldnt keep up with my eyes when we played the 16 th passages at full speed in groove merchant which was round 140

I feel very honoure to be invited into the group and thanked them for being so tolerant of my reading skills. A few weeks in the woodshed and hopefully i wont have to lay out too much.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
Nuages has several possibilities: a nocturne by Debussy, or Django Reinhardt, amongst others...

I had a run-through of Mozart symphony 41 on the cello at orchestra yesterday. That has some tricky Alberti bass passages in the first movement, awkward timing in the second movement, the minuet and trio isn't too bad, the finale (at pace) is quite chromatic in places... I stick the notes in that are on the beat when I have to bluff my way through stuff I can't manage at pace.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jazzaferri

TV ... The Nuages is by Eugene Bozza, a French Compser. It was written in 1946. when I looked it up this morning it is described as a scherzo for sax quartet.

I wish it had been Djangos Nuages. i know thatone by heart on both sax and guitar.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom