PPT mouthpieces

Sax playing after heart attack

Janosax

Locality
France
Hi sax friends!! :)

Slightly off topic I guess, but perhaps not as it’s about sax playing.

On 7 July of this year, I have had a heart attack (MINOCA type). I will probably get stents in the coronary arteries in a few days because I still have some pain.

I’m young, only 44. Don’t smoke and eat properly!! I should have listen, everybody should.

In the months to come, I will have some heart training to gain better health. Already have some medication to help and prevent.

Health, existential, family and spiritual preoccupations are of course all in my mind.

And lot of things are in standby for me now...
Apart from my own business living, there is of course my sax playing. I’m really sad. Sax misses me. I´m a lot in sax looping stuff and was almost ready for stage performances. I‘ve already quit sax playing for years for other health related issues. I came back only 3 years ago.

Each case is different, I can’t see my future from today that’s for sure, but has anybody here experienced that disease, how was (difficult, long...) your comeback to sax playing?

I usually practice around two hours a day, with a good amount of energy (I usually sweat in less than 15 mn :p).

I don’t like to talk about personal life on internet, so that will be the exception;)

Last edited:
Hope it all goes well and you’re up and playing again when ready. Heard some of your tracks via the Audiobus forum and enjoyed what you do (and reading your process). All the best. Tony

Thanks a lot Tony. Yes I know you on AB forum;) I’m ready to fight. Hope to come back in less than a few months. For now, I try to practice my sax a little bit with fingers only, and to play/create some music with my iOS apps :) Jean.

Last edited:
Hi sax friends!! :)

Slightly off topic I guess, but perhaps not as it’s about sax playing.

On 7 July of this year, I have had a heart attack (MINOCA type). I will probably get stents in the coronary arteries in a few days because I still have some pain.

I’m young, only 44. Don’t smoke and eat properly!! I should have listen, everybody should.

In the months to come, I will have some heart training to gain better health. Already have some medication to help and prevent.

Health, existential, family and spiritual preoccupations are of course all in my mind.

And lot of things are in standby for me now...
Apart from my own business living, there is of course my sax playing. I’m really sad. Sax misses me. I´m a lot in sax looping stuff and was almost ready for stage performances. I‘ve already quit sax playing for years for other health related issues. I came back only 3 years ago.

Each case is different, I can’t see my future from today that’s for sure, but has anybody here experienced that disease, how was (difficult, long...) your comeback to sax playing?

I usually practice around two hours a day, with a good amount of energy (I usually sweat in less than 15 mn :p).

I don’t like to talk about personal life on internet, so that will be the exception;)
I had a stent inserted in a coronary artery twenty years ago at the age of 65 years and I am still around to tell the tale. My advice is to do what the professionals tell you to do but above all try to relax. A heart attack is a frightening time and in my experience makes you take stock of your life. This is not necessarily a bad thing! I attended a cardio rehabilitation course for the first 15 years and only gave up when my wife became dependent on me for everyday care! Most people find that life goes on as before though it may be advisable to reconsider the pace.

I wish you every success with your treatment and am confident that you will be fine if you behave yourself. Take things easy and give yourself time to return to normal - long tones and scales are wonderful therapy when your confidence has returned.

Bonne chance.

Dave

Unless there are accompanying lung or breathing problems having a "stents" proceedure should not prevent you from playing the saxophone. I have undergone this procedure several times, and it has not been a problem. Of course it is always best to take the advice of your physician.

Don't rush. Take care... Pretty soon your loops are going to rock the world better than ever. :)

I had an aortic valve replacement in 2014 and some complications over a period of months afterwards. I wasn't playing then, but I can assure you that if you run into any brick walls during your recovery, don't get discouraged. They won't be so tall that you can't climb over them. Your music is a gift from God and you are far from finished! Blowing a horn is great exercise for the lungs. We are here to cheer you on!

Many thanks to all of you for your kind replies :cool:

I will do my best to relax, I need to recover and that will take time.

That’s great to see some of you had similar issues and are still able to play. That was the kind of testimonial I was searching for. Thanks again :)

Some day my sax will come...!! :sax:

It's still hot here in France with 37°C today (and yesterday!!), but I played my tenor sax for 20 mn!!! It has misses me a lot really, what a joy to push the air and get my sound again!!!!! But it was slightly harder than I expected too. I walk half quickly every day for one hour since one week, and my sax playing is still more physically demanding than those exercices. I'll have to see the doctors, do their heart exercices and keep patience for my recovery. I hope to progressively go back to 2 hours of sax practice per day though the months (not the years!!). But still, it was a cool day, the first on my road to my sax playing return. You really know that you love something when its far from you
B)

Last edited:
That is great news! So your temperature was 98.6 F! On a US fever thermometer, that is normal! Keep blowing but take it easy and relax! Hope it cools down over there, it is hot here too! 30 degrees C today.

So pleased to hear you are on the road to full recovery. :)

Jx

@Janosax ; bonjour : man I don't know what to say . " Health , existential , family and spiritual preoccupations are of course all in my mind "....that is an artist's quote man it is obvious you are just that and I know that to have what or who you love taken away is a devastating thing....
I am not a doctor so cannot offer any medical advice only that you follow the obvious by following said doctors and their regime .
In the future ; fresh air ; good diet ; the support of family and friends...add to that the inherent desire to get back ? Your spiritual self will guide you...
We should all count our blessings..
Keep us posted as to your recovery ; be positive
Yeah...Bon Chance man
Best
Ade
Great that you are playing...don't push it Jean...it will be counter productive...little by little !!

Last edited: