PPT

Sax players for the novice improviser

Tinyallotment

Hi All
I am a novice improviser and I get discouraged because all of the jazz that I listen too is advanced for me to try to emulate.
Who should I me listening to as a great introduction to improvisation?
Paul

Koista

Hi All
I am a novice improviser and I get discouraged because all of the jazz that I listen too is advanced for me to try to emulate.
Paul
Paul,
I get the same feeling but i just pick a pentatonic scale and use only the 5 notes from high to low to improvise and it works for me...hopefully I will gradually get better as you will by just keep plugging away mate...

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
Hi All
Paul

Have you listened to our Improvisation of the month threads, some of our own members have some good recordings.
Improvisation of the Month

Join in and have a go at some you will start to improve :)

Jx

Jazzaferri

Locality
Victoria BC Canada
Find a tune that really speaks to you. Use a program that slows the music down and can loop the phrases that you like the most.

I beleive that it's just like learning to speak a language when you are young. You will make mistakes. Learn to enjoy and embrace them.

I encourage my students to mostly learn phrases rather than whole solos. There will be a few solos that really have a great deal of meaning to you and like learning a poem by heart, one can learn something about how to construct a solo.

listen to lots of music in the style you like.

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
Both Paul Desmond and Stan Getz tend to improvise without playing lots of fast notes. You can get some melodic ideas from them that are accessible for a novice player.

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
Theory of harmony is the way into improvising. Knowing which notes are in a given chord will guide you through any song. There's a lot of study and preparation goes into that random burbling. Copying the greats will be like a parrot learning to speak.

Sing along then try to play what you sing.

Tinyallotment

Thanks guys
Listening to Art Pepper today and really enjoying his style. I can't believe I haven't listened to him before
Cheers guys
Paul

Ajoten

I've been looking for soprano-specific examples of simpler playing myself - Portico Quartet sounds pretty doable to me and Jan Garbarek possibly, certainly in terms of numbers of notes... however they sound like opposite ends of the technique spectrum to my uneducated ear. Some earlier Steve Lacy perhaps (more jazzy too).

Jazzaferri

Locality
Victoria BC Canada
One way to be sure you understand the underlying harmonic structure and can work within it on a subconscious level is to arpeggiate your way through the tune. Once you can do this in a rhythmic and melodic way, you will be well on your way to understanding the framework that one has to work with....... both inside and outside.

Without that understanding one will always be doing some sort of creative noodling, which is fun too but emotionally rather less meaningful. Its like the difference between a stream of consciousness babbling and a real poem that actually says something that has emotional meaning to another.

Latest: Members' Recordings