support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Sax legend lessons

alto andy

Hi everyone I think I have just taken my sax playing to a new level as I have just booked a lesson with Peter king I'm really exited its going to be a stretch money wise but it will be worth it I will be traveling from southend to London for the lesson anyway I just thought I would share my news :) .

Hope it goes well and enjoy it but don't fall into the trap of paying a lot of money to play with someone like that and come away, well not actually learning much, apart from how well he can play....you don't want to pay for that!

Im going to get everything I can from the experience I won't be there to chat well ok maybe for the first lesson but then it will all be about the playing . I'm sure he will be just as dedicated to teaching me as everything this guy does in his 50 years on the jazz platform . Cheers for the advice I know what your saying but I'm there to learn :) .

Cheers andy I think what has happened is I have been addicted to my job as a arborist I have invested so much time into what I do Monday to Friday and evenings and weekends from time to time and I'm thinking although I love my job I am needing a distraction from it so out came my sax again . The way I look at it is I need to put my money into something and I love jazz and playing alto sax so here I am ready for my next adventure . :)

I'm sure you'll gain a huge amount from Learning with Peter King. I'm rather envious. I think one of the real benefits of studying with someone like this is the chance to get inside their musical brain, their thinking and also thoughts on how to express the music (and why). Anyone can learn which keys give which notes, but there's a huge gap between playing notes, tunes, and getting first hand tuition from a master musician.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

I havent had a lesson with him yet but I did meet him Saturday night at the 606 club and mornington Lockett it was a good night . I understand he is very much in demand so I am waiting for a window :)

This happend to a friend of a friend
A guy booked a lesson with Joe H.
He steps in mr. H's house, and they go to the music room.
"Warm up, tune your horn and I am back in a minute"
After 40 minutes of warming up on the flattest piano on earth he adventured in the house, looking for the teacher.
Mr. H is watching TV.
"OK, I come, let's play a blues"
Mr H sits on piano. After the blues, mr H. says:
"Wow, you are great. wonderful solo, Man, you are burning! 50$" (back in the 80s)

Thelonious Monk had lessons with Art Tatum, in which Mr. Monk was too shy and paid Mr Tatum to play in front of him. (Monk was already famous)

Any advice can be precious. Don't expect a piece of paper with an exercise for next lesson.

I always take mine off out of common courtesy whenever I have my lesson, you gotta remember when you've gone it's still their home! But would add that if you get a regular teacher you ain't going to learn anything less about how to play a saxophone, plus it will most definitely work out a lot cheaper..

Back
Top Bottom