SYOS

Sax ensemble for a Jump Blues recording

Smitty

Hi Sax Players. I am a guitar player planning a studio session with a Sax ensemble for a Jump Blues recording. I have the opportunity to bring in 4 top players to add some punch and Sax rawness to some upbeat Blues covers. I am looking for older recordings which feature multi Sax players. Wanted to get a broader idea of the voicing used back in the day. Any suggestions of songs or artists I should look at?

rhysonsax

Louis Jordan would be an obvious starting point, for instance:

I've got a soft spot for Wynonie Harris and this song in particular:

Bull Moose Jackson:

Where does Jump turn into Blues ? Have a listen to this album by Jimmy Witherspoon - it's got some great horn solos, section work, fills and backings:

Rhys

OP
S

Smitty

All top sax cats, very aware of them and their music. Thanks fo the Tips. To me, Jump Blues is a style within the Blues genre, like Chicago, Texas or Piedmont. It is also the upbeat style of Blues within but not limited to Chicago, Texas or West Coast styles of Blues. I am trying to find recordings where Tenor, Berry and Alto, no brass, provide the foundation. Very curious how Sax players voice this kind of back-up using no Brass.

rhysonsax

Pretty much all the Jump Blues horn sections I have heard would use a trumpet and often a trombone too. It can work OK to have a soprano sax playing the trumpet line for a bight of that brightness on top.

@Pete Thomas should be able to advise on voicings of the saxes and how it sounds doing completely without brass.

Here's the UK's "King Pleasure and the Biscuit Boys" with a two saxophone front line - great to have booting baritone but I miss a trumpet: (they have sometimes had a trumpet when I've seen them live)

Rhys

Top Bottom